1995 XL Daystar Leveling Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 XL Daystar Leveling Kit

I will try and be concise. I drive a '95 4.9L 4x4. I purchased the daystar leveling kit along with the appropriate shocks (designed for 1-3" of lift) and installed everything to find the camber to be off. I am not wanting a big lift (opportunity cost), just the 2" in the front. The shop I went to said that I would need to install a camber kit for them to be able to align my front end (estimated $230). I decided, hey I have done this much work myself, why don't I find the camber kit and install it myself. I do not know what camber kit to get and whether or not I should go ahead and replace my ball joints since there is some intermittent clunking sounds from the front end when turning and braking.

I have been reading all kinds of threads on different sites assuming that someone has had the same issue as me, and herein lies my issue. I couldn't find any about my specific issue. I really need some good advice, and positive criticism if the route I took for the leveling kit was a poor decision compared to getting a complete lift kit. Also what I need to do so I can install a camber kit and whatever else I may need to get my red beast back on the road. Thanks in advance for helping me out!

Old 05-02-2012, 12:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A camber kit is not necessary, it just makes the alignment that much easier.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:10 PM
dont do it

Just an opinion, I wouldn't put them on. Go with lift spindles. You'll keep the stock mounting points for uppers and lowers, sway bar and tierod ends, and keep from improperly flexing your ball joints. I installed daystar 2 in coil spring spacers and all they do is push down on the lower control arms for the lift, in turn pulling the uppers down and putting a bad angle on all ball joints. Mine went bad within a month and a half. They will also cause the bumpstops on the uppers to come within an inch from the frame rails just sitting still, making a rough ride on any drops or speedbumps. I got my front end all rebuilt today and took those pieces of **** off and installed 3 in lift leveling kit from rough country and its as smooth as stock bro. Short story, spend the money, do it right, or its gonna cost more later. Sorry its so much **** to read but I just wanna save someone else the hassle.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:48 AM
^Unfortunately lift spindles from what I've seen are 97-03 F150 4x2 only. They don't sell them for any other years so all you said really doesn't apply.

And since you did 2" that put you at the limit of what's acceptable without aftermarket control arms so that's why your ride is bad. 1.5" for him will be a big difference in the ride quality you had with 2" since it's a different suspension design completely.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:19 PM
You need either of these bushings for a 95:
1) Preset level of adjustment: (You'll need to know how far off you are currently)
http://www.ingallseng.com/23100-seri...r-bushing.html
2) Fully adjustable: (This is the best. It can also be set to adjust caster as well)
http://www.ingallseng.com/53200-full...r-bushing.html
Both the above are available from most NAPA stores.
I used the fully adjustable on my 85 with a mild 2" lift as I not only needed to get the camber back to 0°, but I wanted as much caster as I could get for highway tractability.

They are not the easiest to replace, but most good alignment shops should be able to help you out.
You need to loosen the upper ball joint in the spindle to pop out the old bushings and install the new ones.

Here's a pic of where they go: (click thumbnail for fullsize)

Note where it says "Ingall's Bushing"

Last edited by WD40.1; 05-04-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:53 AM
Thanks for all the advice, I think I will try tour idea WD40.1 ... no offense to everyone else. I will post how ot turns out. The truck is not too high of a priority right now since I can cruise around on my vintage goldwing.

Quick Reply: 1995 XL Daystar Leveling Kit