Those of you with 5"+ lifts on your xcabs...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Those of you with 5"+ lifts on your xcabs...

Has anyone with a 5"+ susp. lift had any problems with the driveshaft. I have heard that increasing the driveline angle too much causes a vibration.

Thanks in advance for any info.

-jd

Old 07-26-2001, 01:43 AM
no problems here.

Old 07-26-2001, 08:54 AM
Who makes a 5" plus suspension lift kit? As far as I know, they just go to 5".

When you increase the vertical distance between the transfer case and the axles, the angle IS going to increase (so is the distance between the t-case and axle, but negligable).

Vibration occurs when the angle is so great that the u-joint can't rotate smoothly. A 4" lift shouldn't induce vibration in the driveshafts. However, if you want to be safe, what you have to do is point the axle toward the transfer case. (And place CV joints at the t-case ends of the driveshafts.) The way it used to be done is torching off the stock shock mounts and leaf spring plates, rotating the axle to the appropriate angle, and reweld everything back on with the new angle. Today, we have these little ramps just as long and wide as the spring plate to insert between the spring plate and the leaf spring pack and held in by the little tit that also holds the leaf spring pack in place. These little things are called shims. They're cheap and get the job done with no cutting or welding at all.

But for a 4" lift, I doubt vibration will be your concern. If there were any problems or concerns you should be wary of, it would be your steering system. Make sure you compenstate for the lifted steering components (i.e. pitman arm and the like).

With a 5" lift, I can't tell you. Any lift after 4", I would begin to be concerned about vibration in the driveline, and definitely steering.

Owning an extended cab is a plus over owning a shorter wheel-base, such as the Reg Cabs and others. When they lift their frames off their axles, their angle is more severe than ours. However, like I said, even a 4" lift probably won't induce vibration.

I wish I knew where they get that extra inch from (i.e. Superlift and Pro-Comp, 4" to 5"). If I did, I'd feel more comfortable getting the 5" if I knew it was safe. But I don't, so I'm going to go with the 4" as I recommend everyone else to do... just to be safe. As far as a 5" and higher, I don't know who makes one.

Hopes this helps and sorry for the long message.

-Joel

Old 07-26-2001, 11:22 AM
Talking

I have the 6" Procomp Stage II Lift on my Xcab. No problems whatsoever. Very happy with it.

Old 07-27-2001, 11:26 AM
Aww. I was wasting my time with you 2WDrivers. JK.

Quick Reply: Those of you with 5"+ lifts on your xcabs...