steering shaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering shaft

I was wondering if anybody ever had to change the shaft that goes from the gear box to the steering wheel in there 97-03. Looking threw the fender if i grab the shaft half way betwwen the fire wall and the gear box i can move it side to side about 2 inches. The wheel feels real loose and i could swear thats wear the play is. I also think the gear box is original, they wear out too, right? but that may be a bit pricey. Also i have a body lift with the extension but all is tight and it was the same before and after the lift.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:39 PM
anybody? if i dont get any ideas in the next day or so i will be the pionier and try changing/modding the steering shaft. i dont want to mod it much as it is steering but we will see.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:07 PM
That seems like a lot of play, 2". Maybe the shaft is worn.
I kind of had the same issue. I only had a little play which allowed the inner and outer shaft to rattle like heck. I think I solved it by creating a shim from a plastic container ( one of those plastic jugs used for cat litter) that I could slide in between the inner and outer steering shaft to help tighten up the tolerance. Seems to work great!
The steering shaft only took me a few minutes to get out, a 13 mm socket and some maneuvering under the hood.
I was getting a severe rattle/shake when I would go down dirt, washboard or severely bumpy roads. the steering column would feel like it was about to fall into my lap.
Did you ever figure out what your problem was?

Last edited by 2002 wonderboy; 01-29-2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: info

Quick Reply: steering shaft