Anything else to replace while doing shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything else to replace while doing shocks?

Could use 2 or 3 cents worth of advice. My 2005 Screw (5.4 4x4, stock height) hit 94,000 miles. The ride isn’t so great anymore and since I plan to keep the truck I’m looking to clean up the ride. I replaced the ball joints a few months back with Moog’s. I’ll be picking up some new shocks soon, leaning towards the Bilstein 4600’s. Where I need some maint. advice tips. While the front is apart replacing the shocks are there some easy and/or other components I should look to replace. I’ve seen bushing kits, steering rods, sway bars, etc… It’s a daily driver, no off road, normal loads in back.

Thanks for the help...

Old 08-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Replacing the Front Struts

Were the upper control arms part of the "ball joint" replacement? If not, it's easier to do them while the struts are out. Don't forget the aliment and keeping your tires balanced is the best way to keep the front end parts healthy.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to hear you already did your BJs. If I were taking my front end apart, I would consider doing brakes and checking wheel bearings. For shocks, consider the adjustable Rancho 9000xls, but anything would be better than old OEM shocks!

Old 08-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Have you replaced the stock spark plugs yet?

Old 08-31-2011, 04:18 PM
Scooterdog – No just the lower BJ’s were done. It will be going in for an aliment once everything is done. How expensive is the upper part?

StoveTop – Brakes are in good order, fairly new still about ½ left. I’ll check the wheel bearings thanks.

Canadianelbow – Yes, did the plugs the same time I did the ball joints. Just had the transmission fluid flushed and replaced as well.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:03 PM
In the world of preventative maintenance, what about the fluid in your rear diff? A hundred thousand miles should be beyond a fair life expectancy. At some point everything breaks down. Same is to be expected of brake fluid, steering fluids, ect. What about fuel filters?

Quick Reply: Anything else to replace while doing shocks?