Axle to Frame links

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axle to Frame links

Hey guys,
was talking to some local rock crawler guy about traction bars and they suggested fabbing a link using blue torch brackets, tubing from the local scrap yard, and heim joints that would run from the top of the axle to somewhere on the frame ideally at the same angle as the driveshaft. Any of you guys ever done anything like this? If so what does it help? From what this guy was telling me its pretty inexpensive if you know how to weld.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:42 PM
Suspended
whats your set up on your truck? if it's stock or any where near it i wouldn't worry about adding one.

and usually (from what i've seen for landcruiser) you mount it from the axle to a cross member between the frame rails. i would not add a traction bar to the stock cross members.

edit: searched and found it. if you don't feel any axle wrap or anything i wouldn't mess with it. if you plan to offroad it (i'm assuming not since your 2wd) then i'd consider it then.

Last edited by 06yz250f; 08-30-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:37 PM
they're called traction bars or ladder bars. "what do they do?" it's in the name. they stop axle wrap and wheel hop to make the axle more sturdy and fixed from rotating.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Well I am planning and doing some mild off roading and tear-assing around the country side and or muddy roads heading back to my favorite fishing spot or hanging tree stands. Just wondering if this is that hard to do?

Old 08-30-2011, 04:26 PM
You shouldn't have a problem, I used to tear my truck up off road all the time and never had a need. Unless you have severe axle wrap or your planning on crawling the truck you'll be fine and since your 2wd your not really gonna be able to put it in a position where they'd really be necessary.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks Bro!
Man was on the Dixon bros. site, damn those are sweet kits they have. Got the wheels turning in my head, but the wife would kill me!

Old 08-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Haha so worth it to go long travel though. Think how much more fun you could have, but then again on top of suspension to really be able to use it you'd have to cage the whole truck since our body styles are prone to bending where the bed meets the cab.

Quick Reply: Axle to Frame links