suspension mods on a 4x4 w/ level kit on 33's

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suspension mods on a 4x4 w/ level kit on 33's

hello all. so after putting my front and rear level kit on my truck i recently got my xd monsters with some 33x12.50 toyo m/t's. truck rides great until i hit the offroad terrain such as potholes, uneven ground, bumpy trails. i know its going to want to jostle all over and what have you but it also seems to feel kind of springy when i hit a pothole or roll over a manhole cover and such. could this be due to the heavier nature of the toyo's or would one also typically replace the shocks or springs with a setup like that for the extra strength and such. just curious as to what others have done after going with a setup like mine.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:24 PM
What psi are you running in the tires that could be a factor and its a truck on m/ts its gonna be a rougher ride unless you upgrade your shocks and such and than it will be a bit better. I did notice that my toyo m/ts rode a bit rougher than my current mtz's.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Im right around 40-41 psi in the tires. Everything else is stock. Might upgrade the shocks. Friend of mine told me theres a brand called kyb that are cheaper but very comparable in quality to bilstein's. Wether thats true or not i dont know but for the little it would cost for them i might get try em out.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:05 PM
If you get bilsteins and crank them up for a level then you are still gonna have a rough ride. You could get them and set them at 0" and keep your current leveling kit and it would improve the ride some. Also try airing the tires down to about 35psi. That will make them a little "squishier" and not so bouncy.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by STXXXSTAR13
hello all. so after putting my front and rear level kit on my truck i recently got my xd monsters with some 33x12.50 toyo m/t's. truck rides great until i hit the offroad terrain such as potholes, uneven ground, bumpy trails. i know its going to want to jostle all over and what have you but it also seems to feel kind of springy when i hit a pothole or roll over a manhole cover and such. could this be due to the heavier nature of the toyo's or would one also typically replace the shocks or springs with a setup like that for the extra strength and such. just curious as to what others have done after going with a setup like mine.
The Toyo MT's are a great tire but are so heavy and are not as flexible as a softer tire. I had Toyo's on my last truck with a 2 1/2" leveling kit with HD Bilsteins front and rear and the ride was great untill hitting rough city street's where the ride was OK but nothing like you're describing. I ran 42 to 44 psi cold in my Toyo MT's and had 23k miles on them with very little wear when I sold my truck.

Quick Reply: suspension mods on a 4x4 w/ level kit on 33's