Do I need a steering stabilizer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need a steering stabilizer?

Hi guys,

Need your expertise on this issue I just recently noticed. A little background on my truck...2010 F150 4x4. I have 2" Daystar leveling kit, 3" replacement blocks in the rear. 33"XD's with Nitto Trail Grapplers. This was all installed back in January 2011. In the past couple weeks I have noticed an intermitant "clunking" when cruising at low speeds. I feel it mainly in the steering column. When I roll the windows down I can hear a slightly audible "clunk" as well coming from the front of the truck. It usually only happens during cold starts and goes away within a mile or so. There is no clunking when turning or going over curbs...just on straight aways. Like I said I can feel it in the steering wheel. I had the leveling kits and blocks re-torqued about a month ago so I am not sure what could be causing this. Any ideas?

Old 06-01-2011, 03:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All the stabilizer is going to do is provide the steering with help when going over bumps, that is help correct the phenomenon commonly known as "bumpsteer." I suspect something else is wrong with the steering, was the truck properly aligned after the leveling kit install?

Old 06-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I should have mentioned that as well...the truck was aligned the day the leveler and tires went on. It has been riding smooth since January. Not sure what is causing the knocking or clunking that is felt in the sterring wheel now. Common sense is telling me something is working itself loose and I just want to catch it before it becomes a real problem. I know I will need to take the truck into the dealer to have it checked but I was hoping to get some ideas here before I went. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Do I need a steering stabilizer?