Need Help ASAP 4X2 wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 06:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need Help ASAP 4X2 wheel bearing

Have this grinding on the front driver side ( sounds like mudders when you swerve back and forth at 40 mph) for a week now and I thought it would be a ball joint. But more and more reading looks like a wheel bearing . I am affaid it will fail on the road. I replaced the hubs and pads ( thermo quiets) a year ago and there is still alot of pad left, can I just pick up the hub and used the same pads? Plan on getting everything from NAPA. If they have the spindle nut that too will get replace. Now hopefully harbor freight has the torque wrench

Any tips or tricks???

Last edited by aqua-holic; 05-24-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is definitely your bearing, I had the same issue. The rotors come with the wheel bearing already pressed in. (stupidest idea ever). If i were you i'd replace the new rotors (with the bearing assembly) pressed in already and new pads again. Also replace the spindle nut as well the rubber eventually wears out. check rockauto.com - i got those parts on there for cheap... make sure you torque the spindle nut to spec (i dont remember exactly what it was either - google)

Good Luck!

Old 05-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I have changed rotors two different times without replacing the pads. Never an issue. You might want to look into replacing the hub with those made by Centric so that you can use the 4x4 rotors. I may do this on the next one.

Quick Reply: Need Help ASAP 4X2 wheel bearing