rough country alignment issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 01:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rough country alignment issue

Finally got my truck lifted about a month ago and when I finished took it straight to the alignment shop. It aligned fine and had no issues. Took it in the mud a few weeks back and somehow the alignment got knocked out. I wasnt doing anything crazy (just a little sliding around in a holding pond) but figured I hit some ruts so maybe it slid out a bit. Took it back and got it aligned again. Tonight I was at a friends house on 70 acres at a bonfire and rode around on the property a bit, nothing strenuous just riding down some fire lanes and cleared pathways, and on the way home noticed it drove dead straight with the steering wheels ****ed a tiny bit to the right side. It doesnt really pull its just not true with the steering wheel and I see this as an issue. Anybody else had this issue? I read something about RCX not using camber bolts but normal m18 bolts, could this have anything to do with it? Help?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:21 AM
it was prob off since alignment. They likely alligned it with the steering wheel crooked.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Negative. It was not. It was the same way after I went mudding,not really pulling but off center.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Well... you gotta pay to play.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:52 PM
No its not like that I have pushed my truck way harder than than before the lift and had zero issues. Its something to do with the lift/ changes In steering (which has also started to pop and grind a tiny bit)

Old 12-12-2010, 09:20 PM
mine has caster camber bolts in the lower control arm brackets so yours should, alignment can be thrown out just by "messing around in the mud"

Old 12-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by 6"_isnt_enough
mine has caster camber bolts in the lower control arm brackets so yours should, alignment can be thrown out just by "messing around in the mud"
Ah, didn't even think about that. If i had to bet, that's it.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Yes but what I'm saying is there is no way it should be that easy for it to get out of alignment. If so rcx is a ****ty lift.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:38 AM
okay, what the hell are you trying to resolve? we are giving you ideas and you are shutting them down. If its such a ****ty lift, take it off. It seems like the other 100 thousand users that have it love it. I remember a few months ago someone knocked their truck out of alignment hitting a curb at 10mph. Trust me, it can happen even when you are taking it easy.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:05 AM
RCX stopped using caster/camber bolts in the LCA's about 1 1/2 years ago for their 6'' lift kit. Problem is even though you add caster bolts you will need to have some kind of stoppers for all the cross members. I am currently in the works of fab. some because I too have the RCX and it can't stay true for more than 3 weeks.

Here is what I'm talking about:

old lift:

***picture taken from fourwheel magazine***

NEW

****picture taken from RCX website****

Old 12-13-2010, 11:07 AM
It shouldn't be that easy to knock the frontend out of alignment. This is the reason I didn't go with the RCX lift. The lift looked solid and it is a good price but when I seen they used standard bolts instead of camber bolts I backed away from it. I would recommend doing as Pat28 is doing and try to fab some stops to the lower control arm and buy some camber bolts.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by gcart
okay, what the hell are you trying to resolve? we are giving you ideas and you are shutting them down. If its such a ****ty lift, take it off. It seems like the other 100 thousand users that have it love it. I remember a few months ago someone knocked their truck out of alignment hitting a curb at 10mph. Trust me, it can happen even when you are taking it easy.
You obviously don't understand what I'm saying. I wasn't even flexing, it was like driving through your back yard. I love my lift but this issue is ridiculous. But thanks so much for you concern

Old 12-13-2010, 04:56 PM
@Bossman newer RCX lift kits are known to be easily knocked out of alignment. Some will never have isues and some (like me and like you) are having the hardest time keeping it aligned. you have three options :

1. Add stoppers like I said earlier and put some camber/caster bolts on.

2. Keep going for an alignment each month.

3. Return to stock or and buy another lift.

As far as I'm concern #1 makes the most sense out of the three.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:21 PM
oddly enough i do have the stoppers on my kit. So i would imagine all id need to do is add the camber/caster bolts. Ill try that, appreciate the help. And i dont mean to badmouth RCX it just amazes me that they would knowingly have this issue and no seem to do anything about it.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:02 PM
They wanted to produce the cheapest 6'' lift kit. By cheapest I mean low cost. Not bad quality. They succeeded but left some quality on the table.

Go to rockauto.com and look for part#K80087 it's 34.79$.

Quick Reply: rough country alignment issue