rear blisteins

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear blisteins

Looking at replacing all the struts on my F150 but am wondering from owners who have blisteins on the back how they handle loads?

In the winter i have a 6 inch deck with a snowmobile on it most of the time and usually a trailer with 2 sleds hooked up behind that. I'm wanting to keep the back end level and not sagging. Will the blisteins handle it or is there a better option?

The front will have the leveling 5100's.

thanks

Old 11-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shocks are not designed to increase load capacity. They might help a little, like maybe 100 pounds worth or similar, but nothing major. What they will do is give you better control overall. Might even improve your ride a bit.

What you need to look into is a set of airbags from Firestone or AirLift. I'm considering the Airlift Ride Control bags for my uses. I think they give you an additional 2000 lb. of support, which is more than you should ever need. And they're about 70-80 bucks less than the Firestones with a 5000 lb. capacity.

Hope that helps,

David

Old 11-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What he said^^^ You've got the wrong concept of a shock "absorber". Shocks control the rate (speed) at which a suspension compresses or extends. It has absolutely zero impact on sustaining/support a load as they do not carry any weight. Think about it this way...if you can compress a shock absorber on the workbench by hand, why do you think it will hold your truck level with 1,000 lbs of stuff in the bed? The Bilsteins or any other top end shock will benefit you with a loaded bed, but you need air bags (as mentioned and preferred), or some type of helper spring/add-a-leaf to increase capacity and/or prevent the rear from sagging under said load.

Quick Reply: rear blisteins