Ball joints?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ball joints?!

So i have noticed some cupping wear on my tires were the outside is weaing alot more than the inside. I had a leveling kit installed around this time last year. After looking into everything it might be (alignment, tire pressure, shocks) i've determined the most likely issue is with the front ball joints. I'm looking at replacing the upper and lower ball joints with MOOG's; which actually have a grease fitting(thanks ford), but am getting estimates of between $400-500 for just labor to install them.

Anybody had a similar tire wear issue with worn ball joints? Whats reasonable labor to get these new puppies installed? I've looked at what all is involved with replacing them, and I don't see how this could take more than 3-4 hours; and $100+ an hour labor is ridiculous. i'll buy the tools i need and a few 6 packs for my buddies and fix them in the driveway before i pay that much for it.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:23 AM
I hear ya .... something I need to learn also , have done all the other susp. parts but never ball joints.

I think 4-5 hundred is a little on the light side as I just had 2 replaced yesterday. ( so every ball/j has been replaced now ).

First time through always takes me twice as long as it should as I like to be

deliberate in my actions so as to not screw things up.

When ya sober up post up how things went.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:52 PM
There's nothing to replacing the uppers, most replacements give the whole control arm assembly so you just knock that joint loose and replace the upper arm. For the lowers it takes some time, removing the rotors, caliper, caliper bracket, wheel bearing and CV shaft so you can get the spindle off to replace the lower joint. Your quotes are about right.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Took me a little over 5 hrs to replace both sides upper and lowers on my 97 4x4. Not that hard to do yourself. Three hundred and change for all the parts.

Quick Reply: Ball joints?!