Upper control arm rubbing...

Old 10-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok just makin sure ha I just ordered a pair of upper control arms and a new 2 1/2" leveling kit from AutoSpring so we'll see how that goes...And Ill take some pics tomorrow for you guys...Again, I really appreciate all of your help

Old 10-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you doing the work yourself? If so, be sure to research as the strut is under some pressure. Whenever I hear about guys working on their front end, I always want to ask about experience and wrenching ability. If you research this enough (in the How To section or even on YouTube), it's not hard at all...you just need to be careful and have the right tools.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:53 AM
I'd like to do it myself but then again, Im not sure I wanna risk messing something up...A buddy of mine works as a mechanic at a Ford dealership so I'm gonna have him do it probably

Old 10-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Kinda a dumb question. but are you sure you dont already have leveling shocks? Those dont look like the stock ones I have.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:42 PM
I took the strut off and saw that my leveling kit looked like a rubber puck with holes in it where the stock bolts kinda slipped through (forgot to take pics) Looks like this: http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...on/22900L.html Anyways, the new kit i ordered is this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Auto-...Q5fAccessories
After I remove my old leveling kit, do i put this one on top of the original bolts that are on top of the strut so it basically balances on it (looks like theyre just stacked on top of eachother) or do I take the stock one off and put this in its place? Sorry guys, I dont know the proper terms for these parts. Also, its metal on metal so wouldnt that produce a lot more wear and noise?

Last edited by kazbek1; 10-12-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by chazf150
I had a 2.5 on mine when it was stock . It wasn`t like that . Is it intsalled correct ? I have a 2" on top of my 6" and it looks like this .

This is how mine looks...everything looks so bent compared to yours..maybe because you have a lift? Sorry about the pic quality too..took it at night

Old 10-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Just to second some of the other comments, If you really have the weight on the truck in the first photo, something is ridiculously wrong. That truck can't really be drivable. Are you SURE the upper control arm is resting on the springs with weight on the vehicle? This means when you lower the truck after jacking it up, it stops lowering as soon as the tire hits the ground (neglecting the tire squish) since there is ZERO suspension travel - hard to imagine!

Old 10-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by 2009KR
Just to second some of the other comments, If you really have the weight on the truck in the first photo, something is ridiculously wrong. That truck can't really be drivable. Are you SURE the upper control arm is resting on the springs with weight on the vehicle? This means when you lower the truck after jacking it up, it stops lowering as soon as the tire hits the ground (neglecting the tire squish) since there is ZERO suspension travel - hard to imagine!
Yea, those pics are of the truck resting on the ground..I literally just went outside, stuck my camera in the wheel well, and snapped some pictures...the picture shown above is also the truck just standing. I've been driving it but I just have to deal with a really rough ride...It certainly doesn't look right which is why I'm beggin for help here

Old 10-13-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by kazbek1
Yea, those pics are of the truck resting on the ground..I literally just went outside, stuck my camera in the wheel well, and snapped some pictures...the picture shown above is also the truck just standing. I've been driving it but I just have to deal with a really rough ride...It certainly doesn't look right which is why I'm beggin for help here
Not to come off as a jerk, but you have to help yourself some too. We have asked for pictures of the strut/strut tower to try and distinguish what sort of leveling kit you have and how it is positioned. Without that we're taking shots in the dark. It is almost like you maybe have 2 leveling kits or a leveling kits stacked or a leveling kit and shocks that are adjusted for lift.

-Curtis-

Last edited by lakemarykid; 10-13-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:16 AM
hey kaz call me up either tomorrow or friday you live right down the road from me let me take a look at it

Old 10-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by MUD DIGGER
hey kaz call me up either tomorrow or friday you live right down the road from me let me take a look at it
Now we're talkin'!! Post up whatever you find because I am curious as hell as to whatthe issue is! It sure looks like he has a stacked spacer or a lift shock on there.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by lakemarykid
Not to come off as a jerk, but you have to help yourself some too. We have asked for pictures of the strut/strut tower to try and distinguish what sort of leveling kit you have and how it is positioned. Without that we're taking shots in the dark. It is almost like you maybe have 2 leveling kits or a leveling kits stacked or a leveling kit and shocks that are adjusted for lift.

-Curtis-
Nah its cool...Which part of the strut/strut tower do you need to see? Like how do you want me to take pics of it? I thought the pics I previously posted showed that for the most part. You want me to take pics of the top of the strut without taking everything off first? Hate to sound like a noob but I guess I just dont know what part youre talking about

Old 10-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by MUD DIGGER
Ha Mud Digger to the rescue! Im about to bring it to OK 4WD out by Stewartsville so Ill see what they have to say seeing as they specialize in all this stuff...I already swapped out one control arm but its still sagging over the spring but not as bad as the other side..2 out of the 3 stud things sticking out from the top of the strut are stripped on the other strut so I need to grind them off and replace the part (coming in today) Hopefully Ill get some answers soon and Ill take more pics when I have everything disassembled again.

And Mud Digger, theyre having a truck show at OK on Sunday if youre down to go...heres their link: http://ok4wd.com/auto/event-calendar

Old 10-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by kazbek1
Nah its cool...Which part of the strut/strut tower do you need to see?
Ok, here's what we need to see...below are two examples but as long as you get a picture of the TOP of the strut tower:

or

Old 10-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Duh, I knew that...im lazy and thought i already posted those pics and didnt double check...my bad:

The guys at OK said that I have a 3" leveling kit which is making it sag...i have a 2" that i got in the mail the other day which should fix the problem...still need to replace my driver side UCA which I should be doing tomorrow so Ill let you guys know how it turns out...any other ideas guys besides the one that OK gave me?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upper control arm rubbing...