4" Wear & Tear & other questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4" Wear & Tear & other questions

I'm completely new to the suspension game, heck to the customizing/modification game in general. I've researched on this site for a while and haven't found the exact answers i want yet, so here it goes...

How much wear and tear will a 4" lift cause to components such as cv's and other joints (u/l ca's)?

Is it recommended to change these components?

Will they wear faster with a lift?

I'm looking at the Rancho 4" lift with 295/65/20 Trail Grapplers on stock 20" rims. I know the RC 4" lift will not accomodate the stock 20's but it is a cheaper lift. Would spacers be an option with the RC or should I just save more for the Rancho?

What about Trailmaster? I know its more complete but is the driveline well made? Will Trailmaster accomodate my stock 20's (having trouble finding this info on their website?

I also don't want a bunch of squat when hauling/towing, so will this occur with a 4" lift?

Then there is regearing. If I have 3.73 already then it seems that that gearing would be good up to 35" tires (which is all I would ever want, due to tire cost)?

Any other info/tips/opinions are certainly welcome. However, i don't want a 6 inch lift or taller tires...

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your time and patience...

Old 08-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The lift will not increase wear and tear. It's the increase in tire size that causes the increase in wear due to the added leverage and weight. Keep in mind that while this is an issue, it's not as bad as it first sounds. What I'm saying is that I would much rather buy a used truck that had a lift and 37 inch tires that has been pampered than a stock truck that has been beaten and abused. See what I'm saying?
Trailmaster doesn't have the best reputation. Personally, I wouldn't buy one.
As for regearing, that is always a good idea when going to taller tires. But it is not always necessary. The powertrain you have and how you use your truck has a lot to do with whether or not you "have" to regear. For instance I have a 5.4, 3.55 gears and 35's. But I don't tow/haul anything heavy. If I did, I would have to regear or go down to 33's.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:33 AM
^^^THANK YOU!!!

Anyone else??!!

Old 08-20-2010, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by vtjenkins
^^^THANK YOU!!!

Anyone else??!!
Wandall and alot of us know our stuff when it comes to this man but he pretty much hit it all. When i was running my 6inch skyjacker and 35s i had no problems what so ever and i even took the truck out muddin quite a bit. The truck will be a little slower you will find that out but not by much. Wear and tear like he said wont be because of the suspension but because of the tires.

Gearing you wont need unless you tow. If you do then you will want to consider it because re gearing will help your truck move and also take a lot of stress of the tranny etc. But after you put the lift on and you know your not going any higher than decide to re gear than by all means do it. Will it effect your truck? Not at all.

As for the rear suspension you can always add an aal in the rear to help with the sagging in the rear if you have any. It will stiffen up the ride a little bit but your truck will be level when you tow.

Hope to see another lifted truck

Old 08-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Wandall and alot of us know our stuff when it comes to this man but he pretty much hit it all. When i was running my 6inch skyjacker and 35s i had no problems what so ever and i even took the truck out muddin quite a bit. The truck will be a little slower you will find that out but not by much. Wear and tear like he said wont be because of the suspension but because of the tires.

Gearing you wont need unless you tow. If you do then you will want to consider it because re gearing will help your truck move and also take a lot of stress of the tranny etc. But after you put the lift on and you know your not going any higher than decide to re gear than by all means do it. Will it effect your truck? Not at all.

As for the rear suspension you can always add an aal in the rear to help with the sagging in the rear if you have any. It will stiffen up the ride a little bit but your truck will be level when you tow.

Hope to see another lifted truck
much appreciated!!!!

Quick Reply: 4" Wear & Tear & other questions