2004 Screw 4wd Lariat Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Screw 4wd Lariat Help!!!

as the title says, I need help....

I broke both of my front coils, ordered new Moog Heavy Duty ones. They have 11 coils instead of 9 and the steel is thicker.

Decided I should go ahead and replace the shocks, since this is mainly a highway truck with the occasional pull a trailer through mud at an mx track I decided stock was fine.

I found a set of takeoffs on ebay and bought them. After the fact, I found out I had bought struts off of an '09 Screw. The rod on these is thicker, the nut that holds the original strut to the mount was 15mm and these are 17 mm.

Can anyone give me any insight as to what FoMoCo did and when to the front suspension on these trucks? Ideally, I would like to get the correct mounts to use the struts I bought.

Have also considered a leveling kit, however as mentioned before I do pull a trailer. 18' cargo trailer with a lot of tongue weight and I use a weight distribution hitch, anyone have any insight as to what a level kit would do to that setup?

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2010, 07:38 PM
nobody has any ideas?

Old 08-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 04-08 and 09-10 trucks use the same suspension design (IFS with coilover shocks). Apparantly the coilover shocks are different though.
I gotta ask, how on earth did you break the coilsprings?

Old 08-16-2010, 10:35 PM
I honestly dont know how I broke them, the leveling system on the hitch for the trailer does put extra weight on the front but I am not beyond the limits of the truck. However, a google search showed a few more baffled people just like me. I thought it needed tie rod ends and about crapped my britches when I pulled the wheels off and found the springs broken. One guy broke his and all he did was drive on the interstate and pull a flatbed with a couple snowmobiles on it.....a Ranger should handle that.

The 09 strut seems about the same except for the shaft diameter (14 mm instead of 12mm), it wont fit through the mount. Am I correct that is a bearing in their? So, I assume I cant drill it.

I like the 09 shocks and think it would be an upgrade, larger diameter shaft and it looks like they hold more gas. you dont happen to know if the struts mount the same do you? I am thinking that maybe I could come up with stock mounts from an 09 and use them.

Quick Reply: 2004 Screw 4wd Lariat Help!!!