6" and 2" spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6" and 2" spacers?

I have a 6" pro comp already and im wanting to fit 37'"s. I would buy some Dirtlogics but i dont have the money right yet so im thinking about going with a spacer for now. I asked the guys at 4wheelparts about it and they said "you can't double stack the suspension".. and he was kind of an A-hole about it and treated me like i was an idiot. But i know a few people on here have that setup. so is there any harm or disadvantages (other than bad angles) that "doublestacking" the suspension would bring up? keep in mind i dont ever take it offroad.

If you guys think it is ok then ill say screw 4wheelparts and just put the spacers on there myself.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm going to do the exact thing tomorrow night I have shallow backspacing on my new wheels so I can't clear them without a couple more inches. I would go with the new coilovers as well but once again I'm in the same boat as you and can't afford them right now but maybe later.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:35 PM
I had a discussion with HighOn22's member which has this exact set-up and here is what he had to say:

Pat28: Hi, I noticed you are running the 2'' spacer along with the 6'' spacer. How is your ride with those installed. I was going to do this but could find info on how it rode/affects the ball joints and cv angles.

HighOn22's: It is a little stiffer b/c the spring is being compressed more than it would be with ust the 6: spacer. Basically the truck rides like a 3/4 ton rides. I haven't had any issues yet with my ball joints and cv angles. I don't use my 4wd enough to really put it to the test. My cousin has an 05 with the ProComp lift and no additional spacer and had to change his ball joints last week with around 50k miles on the truck. I believe ford has the problem w/ ball joints from the start and adding the spacer just increases them to wear out sooner. If you have the extra money I'd recommand going with the Bilsteins.

From there you can decide if you want to do it or not.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the help guys! Any more oppinions? And... are my ball joints all i really have to worry about?

Old 07-15-2010, 08:55 PM

i wouldnt stack a leveling kit on top of the pro comp spacer.

Best thing to do would be get replacement struts for 6" lifts and add the leveling kit or keep the pro comp spacer and get the adjustable bilsteins and set them at the 2" setting.

keep in mind , our oem struts werent meant to handle 37's

Old 07-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by IDNC76
i wouldnt stack a leveling kit on top of the pro comp spacer.

Best thing to do would be get replacement struts for 6" lifts and add the leveling kit or keep the pro comp spacer and get the adjustable bilsteins and set them at the 2" setting.

keep in mind , our oem struts werent meant to handle 37's
Hmmm.. i guess thats what the guy at 4wheel parts was refering to. i never thought about that.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:02 PM
IDNC76 - True it was not engineered for the 37's but you do have to admit that the is a security coefficient factor that adds up in the just for safety issue and I am quite sure the struts can take the added load. Then again he is not going to offroad it so basically what I would be worried most is his tranny and TQ because THOSE were not meant to withstand such loads.

All in all of course the best way would be to change the whole front suspension system with new coils and UCA but thats pricey. Adding a spacer is a temporary fix that he can live with without really damaging any parts of his truck aside from ball joints.

Trending Topics

Old 07-15-2010, 10:08 PM
I ran that setup for about 8 months and I never had a problem. Everyone is gonna say not to do it, but some people still have stacked blocks in the rear(Which is also not recommended). I think it would take a freak accident if something did happen imo. I think your better off with some adjustable bilsteins.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:23 AM
I've told someone else this before, but don't remeber who. It's the same concept of running stacked blocksin the rear. Yes, it can be done, but it's not the safest way to do it. I have had the stacked spacers on my truck for 2 years and put 10,000 miles on them w/o any problems. Now if I had to do it all over again I would have saved up for the Stage II lift. I'll eventually take the spacers off and get Coilover's, but I have a few bills to pay off first.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:22 PM
Well, i am about to order some bilstein 5100's. Do you guys think i would be able to fit 37's in there that way? I don't know much about those bilsteins.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:07 PM
Yes you will be able to fit them. Better yet, I'll sell you my rim/tires and 2.5" leveling kit for $2100.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Well i already have some black 951's that i cant wait to put on.. (i have a silver truck). but ill buy your spacer!

Quick Reply: 6" and 2" spacers?