Torsion bar unloading tool

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torsion bar questions

Im new to this site but was wondering if anyone knows where I can rent a torsion bar unloading tool. I was also wondering if anyone has ever unloaded a torsion bar with a pittman arm puller, and if it will work. I'm putting a lift kit on my 2000 F150 and was needing some info on this since I have never really messed with torsion bars. Also if you have knowledge on how the torsion bar set up is and how it disassembles. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by MUDDUCK7; 06-17-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've heard of people using a gear jaw puller to unolad them, but you may be able to rent a tool from Advance Auto or one of the other chain stores.
I've never removed a set, but I've read a lot of posts from members that had problems getting them dissambled on older trucks. I'd start soaking stuff with penetrating oil right now. I've heard of several members having to use heat where rust/corrosion had seized them to the control arms. Good luck and hopefully other can give you some more insight.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks man for the advice. Yeah I've been going to the top four chain auto parts stores and three of the four stores didn't even know what a torsion bar was. I never thought about the rust issue. I'm crossing my fingers I don't run into that , but you know how that goes. I'll start soaking them down in the morning for a couple of days. Thanks again.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:04 PM
You can just use a C-clamp. That's what I did and it worked fine.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:10 PM
I had thought and asked someone about that but they told me not to because it will slip off and when that happens its a bad day. When you used it did you take off the swivel head on the clamp or leave it on?

Old 06-17-2010, 11:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can use a c clamp just remove the4 piviot off the bottom so all you have is the ball end. a torsion tool works much better.
ford

OR this may work this is what i have used

Old 06-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Yeah I've been lookig them up $90 to $100 for basicly a u-bolt and some nuts. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and dish out the money for one. I appreciate all ya'll's feedback.

Trending Topics

Old 06-18-2010, 03:09 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Jack up and support the front so the wheels hang. The added weight helps unload them. Go out and buy the biggest C clamp you can find and remove the anvil. The ball will fit in a dimple on the T bar key. Tighten the C clamp to take pressure off the adjuster bolt. Unscrew and remove the adjuster bolt. It has lock tight on it from the factory. Tighten the C clamp to unload the key and slide the lock out. Liberal use of penetrating oil is a must for keys that are rusted to the bars. Once the key is unloaded remove the bolts holding the cross member to the frame. Slide it towards the rear till it contacts the keys and then hit it with a BFH towards the rear close to where the keys are. This will push the keys towards the rear and they will fall out.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mudduck if your close to fort myers you can talk to jesse todd at farmboy fabrications. he may barrow/rent you one..

Last edited by midwestoffroad; 06-18-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:31 AM
I just put y lift on last week and did not use any thing special. I jacked up the front end and backed the adjustment bolt out all the way then took a hammer and hit the Tbars forward and the keys fell out. to get them back in I had to get a big pipe wrench and put tension to get the little piece that the bolts thread into to go back in

Old 06-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. I bit the bullet and bought the unloading tool. I went off of all the responses I got from everyone and even went to several Ford mechanics. So the "use the tool" guys outweighed the others. I'll post some pics of my truck when it's done, can't wait, thanks again ya'll!!

Quick Reply: Torsion bar unloading tool