In need of HELP, going Rancho 4"

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In need of HELP, going Rancho 4"

Hey guys, i'm just doing some research on a future Lift project with my 2005 F150 Screw.

Here is what i am or wanting to do. I am planning to go with a Rancho 4" lift kit, replace ball joints and upper control arms (as stovetop recommended), and Bilstein 5100 series struts, and Fabtech steering stabalizer kit.

My question is do i need anything else to complete the lift? i see people use "add-a-leaf" or "level spacers". This is so confusing.

And another problem is having to select rims and tires. I want to go wit D. Cepeks. but they are 17x9 with 4.08 backspacing, and i believe the Rancho kit clears 17x7s or 18x7.5 with 5" backspacing and 35x12.50 size tires, with no rubbing and minor trimming. Are the 17.9s 2 big?

Oh what to do? I dont want my truck too look fugly with rims that stick out pass Canada, but i still want looks and perfromance.

Another thing is majority of forum members i see love the Nitto Mudd grapplers, i may be interested in a set of them, THAT IS IF they Fare well in Sand, and not just dessert Sand, i mean shelly, hot lava, beached blonde bikinied, hawaiian sand. lol...

help me out guys. Thanks a bunch...

Old 03-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, where in Hawaii are you located?!? I still have lots of family out there and was just curious!

Sounds like you have a good plan going.
As for lifting the rear, the Rancho kit should come with rear block but unsure what size (as my block was missing). I bought a 3" block from Autospring and that did the trick. You can also consider adding a lift shackle to the rear to add another inch on top of that. The shackles are a breeze to install. OR you can add the add-a-leaf but I decided against it as I didnt want to harshen up the rear...others who have an AAL can add feedback.

As for your rims, I think 9" wide rim w/ 4.08" bs will definitely rub on the inner fender well and probably the front valance. I had 18x9's w/ 5.5" BS and it cleared with no rubbing/trimming at all. I know you like the Cepeks but I really like 18's and up on a lifted truck... In any event, 5 to 5.5" of bs is prob minimum but I am sure others will correct me if I am wrong.

Keep us posted as to what you decide!

Old 03-22-2010, 02:05 PM
I have a rancho lift with 18x9's and 4.5" of backspacing and it sticksout about 2 inches or so versus stock and i think it looks great. I agree with stovetop on the 18"s and bigger on lifted trucks 17" look a bit small in 35" IMO. I also have an AAL in the rear and the ride is firmer, wouldnt say harsher but you definitely know its there. I chose the AAL over the shackle only because im going to be towing a boat and I wanted about an 1" or so of rake.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by verifine-f-150
I chose the AAL over the shackle only because im going to be towing a boat and I wanted about an 1" or so of rake.
This is what I need to discover this spring/summer...how it sits when towing the boat. I already think that I am going to need an aal too...

Old 03-22-2010, 03:08 PM
at first i hated the fact that it had rake but im out only like an inch so by the time i put an 18' fishing boat on the back it should be just about level i would think... when you posting your new pics Stovetop?? been waiting to see what mods your up to

Old 03-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by StoveTop
This is what I need to discover this spring/summer...how it sits when towing the boat. I already think that I am going to need an aal too...
AAL will make your rake look ridiculous. Go with Airbags.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:06 PM
okay. Stovetop i just Pmd you on my location. I am not going to tow a boat, i am how ever going to be using the truck to ocassionally pull other trucks out of sand, load and unload a future Quad (atv), and maybe mudsling when it rains.

Sorry to sound stupid but whats an AAL?

So let me recap. The Rancho 4" kit will rub 17x9 and 4.5 inches of backspacing. So 18x9 with 5 inches of backspacing is recommended. Why do 17x9s with 4" bs rub and 18x9 with 5.5" bs dont? Just curious.
If that is the case D. Cepeks do come in 18X9 and do have a backspacing of 5.5 inches. i will go with 35x12.50 tires. Will that setup work with the rancho?

here is the rims link: http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheel..._mba_ci3_l.jpg

Old 03-22-2010, 04:38 PM
as you want

Last edited by Northertom; 03-22-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:39 PM
AAL = Add a Leaf as to why a 17x9 rubs with 4.5" BS is beyond me, my 18x9 with the same specs except diameter only rubbed a bit on the front valance. The kit was developed with a wheel that has 6" of BS so i think if you go with a wheel between 4.5-5.5" BS you should be safe.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by F150hawaii
So let me recap. The Rancho 4" kit will rub 17x9 and 4.5 inches of backspacing. So 18x9 with 5 inches of backspacing is recommended. Why do 17x9s with 4" bs rub and 18x9 with 5.5" bs dont? Just curious.
If that is the case D. Cepeks do come in 18X9 and do have a backspacing of 5.5 inches. i will go with 35x12.50 tires. Will that setup work with the rancho?

here is the rims link: http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheel..._mba_ci3_l.jpg
The rim diameter is not the issue as you're going with a 35x12.5 tire. The less backspace you have the more the tire will stick out and therefore rub with either the front valance and/or rear of the wheel well when turning the wheel to full lock. With my Rancho kit installed, my new rims (which have 4.5" of bs) rubbed pretty badly at the back of the wheel well (actually the inner portion of my OEM fender flares) until I added the 1" spacer on top of the Rancho. Granted, my new rims are 10" wide vs the 9" DC's you mentioned so I was just guessing that you'd rub. If V-f150 says you won't rub (this is assuming it wont rub prior to the 1.5" leveling kit in his signature) then I guess it won't...but it will be really close. To be honest, I really like that the tires extend a bit past the flares rather than tucked inside the wheel well; it looks more aggressive. Know that if it DOES rub a bit, it is easily fixed either by trimming the front valance or cutting the inner portion of the fender flare (or lifting another inch or so). 4.5" of bs is definitely not a deal breaker in my opinion.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Not to hijack your thread, but I finally posted updated pics of my truck in my album...see my signature below. I just painted my flares, cowl and mirrors and plan on painting my door handle buckets (for now they have some 303 Protectant on them). I really wanted to do a real photoshoot next time I am in Tahoe, but since it is freshly washed, I decided to take some pics around the neighborhood. I really need to Bleche-Wite the tires to turn them black again...

Old 03-23-2010, 04:50 AM
Okay so i called a tech at Rancho, and he said i will be safe with 18x9. And as for backspacing he said what you said stovetop, the lesser the number the better. He says the lift should be safe with a backspacing less than 6inches.

But just to be on the safe side, because stovetop, you said you had minor rubbing on the valast. What did you do to prevent that, besides trimming or cutting fender weld? did you AAL? or did you use a blocker or leveling kit? let me know what you used, send me a link, please.

Also send me a company thay you guys trust, that Carries and sells the Rancho kits and parts i need. If not how does autoanything.com work for you guys? i've only delt with them once and there delivery was percise.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Yeah, you're going to have to shop around to find the best prices. Your main issue is going to be paying for shipping to Hawaii. If you have plans to go to Oahu soon, you can pick it up at 4WheelParts in Waipahu. I see online that they have it for 2170.00 w/ shocks. I heard that Maui has a few off road shops but you're going to have to do some searching. The good thing is that Rancho is offering a $500 rebate. BTW, there's also a $500 rebate for Procomp lifts from 4WheelParts too.

As for your questions see if this helps:

Rear:

Old 03-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Got it. i think i will go with a Daystar spacer. But your rear picture, what have you done to it? There are no issues with rubbing for the rear correct?

Old 03-23-2010, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by F150hawaii
Got it. i think i will go with a Daystar spacer. But your rear picture, what have you done to it? There are no issues with rubbing for the rear correct?
I used a lift shackle...easily availble via eBay. The 1" Daystar made my truck level, but since I tow a boat, I wanted a slight rake in the rear (rear a little higher). Therefore I replaced the OEM shackle with the lift one. It's listed at 1.5" but I got just over an inch with it. It was an easy install: about an hour and 20mins total.

Quick Reply: In need of HELP, going Rancho 4"