Front shock/coil over replacment question regarding skyjacker

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front shock/coil over replacment question regarding skyjacker

I just replaced my rear shocks with Skyjacker 8000 Nitros. Now when I called 4wheelonline about getting the shocks for the front they said I would have to buy an additionally kit that would run me another $200 bucks. They explained it was the entire assembly (coil, mounting assembly, etc etc).

Is there no way you can just replace the shock within the spring? For example I buy the shocks, take my truck up to a shock garagae and have them swap them out. Sorry if I sound like a retard by asking these questions.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by XPerties
I just replaced my rear shocks with Skyjacker 8000 Nitros. Now when I called 4wheelonline about getting the shocks for the front they said I would have to buy an additionally kit that would run me another $200 bucks. They explained it was the entire assembly (coil, mounting assembly, etc etc).

Is there no way you can just replace the shock within the spring? For example I buy the shocks, take my truck up to a shock garagae and have them swap them out. Sorry if I sound like a retard by asking these questions.

Thanks in advance.

Go to Autozone and pay the deposit fee of like 50 and do it yourself with coil spring compressor or take it to a shop that can do it. But 200 for extra parts is a lie. All you need is the new shock and a way to compress the coilover to get the old one out and new one in.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rancho and Bilstien make replacement coilover shocks for your truck. They also feature adjustable spring preload so you can raise the front of your truck 2 inches or leave it at stock height. All you will have to do is what you described.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:43 AM
So to clarify with you guys.....

As quoted here...

http://4wheelonline.com/SkyjackerNit...s.23147.121363

The following vehicles require struts and/or coilovers for the front of the vehicle.
Please call for pricing and availability.

Ford: (04-06)F150, (02-04)Explorer

all I would need is to order a set of the "Skyjacker Front Nitro Shock-SKY-NITFRONT" at $42 each and then get a coil compressor from a local auto store to do the swap?

That shock would and could be replaced with the OEM without any special mounting kit or assembly kit?

Thanks again.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Basically, a coilover shock is just a shock that a coilspring mounts over. I don't know if Skyjacker makes a shock for your truck in that series. I know Skyjacker does make a coilover shock for your truck that will lift the front of your truck 3 inches. I wouldn't recommend it because 3 inches is just too much lift. It leaves the ball joint and CV joint angles too severe to last. Most everyone agrees that 2.5 inches is the limit. That is why I suggested the Bilstiens or Ranchos. They will allow you to lift the front 2 inches if you choose. Plus I believe they are less expensive than the Skyjacker coilover shock and personally, I think they are a better product.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by XPerties
So to clarify with you guys.....

As quoted here...

http://4wheelonline.com/SkyjackerNit...s.23147.121363

all I would need is to order a set of the "Skyjacker Front Nitro Shock-SKY-NITFRONT" at $42 each and then get a coil compressor from a local auto store to do the swap?

That shock would and could be replaced with the OEM without any special mounting kit or assembly kit?

Thanks again.

That should be right but just call skyjacker and double check with them. Cant hurt to have another opinion especially by the ones that make lift kits for our trucks.

Quick Reply: Front shock/coil over replacment question regarding skyjacker