Any Pro Comp AAL owners out there?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Pro Comp AAL owners out there?

I have an '06 screw that's sitting a little low since I installed the 2" AS level kit and I've pretty much decided to go with the Pro Comp long leaf. My question is does the Pro Comp AAL come with the plastic wear pads on the end of the spring like the stock springs have to avoid sqeaking, metal on metal wear, etc. I know most companies put them on.
Also, can you re use the stock u bolts or do you need to buy new ones?
The ride when empty was a concern at first but it sounds like guys that have the long P C leafs said the ride doesn't change much.
Any Pro Comp AAL users have any info for me???
Thanks

Old 11-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Pic

Old 11-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

The AAL should come with new longer bolts. Not sure where your getting the AAL but I ordered mine from 4wheel parts. They were having free shiping so it was the best deal at the time. It said pro comp on the website but when it arrived it was a superlift. It didn't really matter the brand to me and it did have the pads with it also. Also just so you know. The long AAL requires you bend out the spring clamps on the leaf pack. Let me tell you they are a PITA to get back. Mine are still not 100% right. If I had it to do over again I would get the short AAL instead. It does not require the clamps to be removed.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Consider a lift shackle in the rear, especially if you are concerned about harshness. They are cheap and easy to install.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Hey thanks for the input. I was going to go with the long leaf just because I heard the ride was better with it. I changed out a broken spring in my old Superduty recently so I know what you're talking about having to bend the tabs back, def PITA.
I'll look into the shackle lift too, that's an option I hadn't even thought about until you mentioned it.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Anybody know if the Pro Comp AAL comes with the plastic wear pads on the end of the spring ends (goes between the two springs). On the website photos of the springs at summit or 4 wheel parts they don't show the pads on there and I think they are neccessary.
Also, ab46501 said that they come with new center bolts, but do I need new ubolts as well? My ubolts are long enough to reuse with an additional leaf, but someone told me that any time you take them off, they shouldn't be reused. Any thoughts???

Old 11-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Drdudsads
I have the pro comp long AAL installed in my truck for 4 months now. Install was straight forward and pretty easy. It comes with new center bolts and pads on the ends. Also I reused my factory ubolts and so far so good. The ride is imo better. Truck seems smoother than again I installed rear shocks as well. I can now load my quad up and camping gear and hardly sags. Month well spent imo and also got roughly 2" of lift too. Only pain in the butt thing is trying to tighten the clamps down. You will see what we mean. Get a big C clamp and go to down.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks desert racer, that pretty much answered all of my questions about the P C AAL. I think I'll order them tonight from 4 wheel parts, free shipping now.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:42 AM
The procomps do come with the wear pads, atleast mine did. I would go with the lift shackle though, less PITA then bended out the clamps. If you want to keep smooth ride, definitely do not get the short AAL.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Forgot to mention the AAL and lift shackles are going to be about the same price, between 60 and 100 bucks.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by ab46501
The AAL should come with new longer bolts. Not sure where your getting the AAL but I ordered mine from 4wheel parts. They were having free shiping so it was the best deal at the time. It said pro comp on the website but when it arrived it was a superlift. It didn't really matter the brand to me and it did have the pads with it also. Also just so you know. The long AAL requires you bend out the spring clamps on the leaf pack. Let me tell you they are a PITA to get back. Mine are still not 100% right. If I had it to do over again I would get the short AAL instead. It does not require the clamps to be removed.
Do the short AALs provide similar lift and support as the long leaf?

Old 11-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by mdhawkin
Do the short AALs provide similar lift and support as the long leaf?
They provide everything the long one does, just a much stiffer/rough ride.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Jditta
They provide everything the long one does, just a much stiffer/rough ride.
Thanks

Old 11-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I have heard the short ones ride stiffer but I have never got that from someone who actually has used one? They go on the bottom of the leaf pack so I dont see how much more it could be than the longer one? With the weight of my cover, the line-x and the tools I keep in the bed the long AAL brought me back to a stock like ride.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks for all the input. I'm going to order up the long Pro Comp AAL tonight. I don't mind the extra time to bend out the tabs. I did it on my Super Duty without a ton of problems. I do tow occasionally and have a couple hundred pound cap on all the time, so I think the extra support would be worth my time. If I can figure out how to heat the tabs up with a torch, without melting the plastic off the tabs they will bend a lot easier.

Quick Reply: Any Pro Comp AAL owners out there?