Bilstein ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bilstein ride

A couple weeks ago I replaced my factory shocks on my 01 Supercrew with Bilstein HD's. The truck is 4X4 and my ride height is stock. The Bilsteins definately tightened up my ride a bit and overall its an improvement except for when I'm hitting pot holes on turns. The Bilsteins seem to wobble the front end of the truck from side to side maybe 3 or 4 times after hitting a pot hole or bump. This is only happening when I'm turning. Is this normal? Maybe the shocks just need to be broken in?

Old 10-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I've noticed that too. I have Bilsteins on an 08 Supercrew, and I just thought that was due to the design of the truck.

When I put Rancho's on my 01 Supercrew that was the one thing that the Rancho shocks eliminated. When I put Bilsteins on my 08 I expected these shocks to eliminate front and rear wheel bounce. The corner roll is greatly improved, but the wheel bounce has only improved marginaly. How is the rear doing on bumps in the road?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by greencrew
I've noticed that too. I have Bilsteins on an 08 Supercrew, and I just thought that was due to the design of the truck.

When I put Rancho's on my 01 Supercrew that was the one thing that the Rancho shocks eliminated. When I put Bilsteins on my 08 I expected these shocks to eliminate front and rear wheel bounce. The corner roll is greatly improved, but the wheel bounce has only improved marginaly. How is the rear doing on bumps in the road?
the rear seems fine. the only annoyance is the wobble back and forth in the front as I take a corner with a bump...almost like the shocks are teeter tottering back and forth 3 or 4 times. i'm not so sure we're talking apples to apples though because your bilsteins are coilovers. has anyone else noticed this after putting bilsteins on a 97-03?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:38 PM
I have also installed the Bilstein HD shocks on my '01. I have an Xcab, but i do not have the same thing(wobble 3-4 times) as you are describing. Another thing that i have done is adjust my torsion bars to make them a little bit tighter ( increase height). I adjusted the front so that the top of the wheel well in the rear sits about 1.5" higher than in the front.
Other than that, the suspension is stock with no lift kits or blocks.
Also, i do tend to jump over a local set of train tracks like Bo or Luke Duke (no speed limits broken) and love the landings with the bilsteins

Old 10-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by aaron.b
i'm not so sure we're talking apples to apples though because your bilsteins are coilovers.
I'm not sure either.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by 2002 wonderboy
I have also installed the Bilstein HD shocks on my '01. I have an Xcab, but i do not have the same thing(wobble 3-4 times) as you are describing. Another thing that i have done is adjust my torsion bars to make them a little bit tighter ( increase height). I adjusted the front so that the top of the wheel well in the rear sits about 1.5" higher than in the front.
Other than that, the suspension is stock with no lift kits or blocks.
Also, i do tend to jump over a local set of train tracks like Bo or Luke Duke (no speed limits broken) and love the landings with the bilsteins
That wobble action is one of the reasons I've been considering having Bilsteins installed. Should I just get Ranchos instead so that I don't get wobble? How are the Ranchos damping over bumps compared to Bilstein?

Old 04-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Rancho RS9000XLs are fantastic... They have 9 different settings for off road, highway, or towing... They can be adjusted from front to back... No wobble, lifetime warranty, heavy duty construction... I love mine...

Front...

Rear... (No, they are not on upside down...)

Old 04-28-2010, 11:58 PM
I have front bilstein 5100's and rear 5125 series...I have the same wheel shake over potholes and braking bumps..When I hit them it jerks my steering wheel but turning hard and large dips i can hit at pretty fast speeds. I expected them to ride like a benz but no way. I have a 2004 f150 btw.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Well our trucks have much stiffer springs than a benz. Does your truck lean a lot less going around turns with the Bilsteins? How is it with small and big bumps?

Quick Reply: Bilstein ride