How do you adjust E-brake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you adjust E-brake?

My '97 Expedition has a useless E-brake. It feels like it is engaging, and probobly is somewhat, but wont hold the truck. Can I adjust this? Also, the brake light no longer comes on when engaged, so, it's very easy to be driving around w/ the brake on, you can't tell the difference.
Thanks,
Tom

Old 09-29-2009, 05:09 PM
If the 97 Expedition is like the 01 F150 (which I am fairly certain it is) you have to take the wheels, calipers and disks off. Once they are all off you will see the E-brake drum pads. Check the pads for wear and if there still good the adjuster is at the bottom somewhat behind the pads. You will need to use a screwdriver to twist the star looking nut clockwise to adjust them. Hope this is a good enough description, it's somewhat difficult to get them adjusted perfectly but from what I've heard, as a good rule of thumb, is to tighten the star bolt two full turns at a time, put the disk and wheel on and see if it rotates. Once you get to the point where it no longer rotates back off 3 full turns.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by ridemx
If the 97 Expedition is like the 01 F150 (which I am fairly certain it is) you have to take the wheels, calipers and disks off. Once they are all off you will see the E-brake drum pads. Check the pads for wear and if there still good the adjuster is at the bottom somewhat behind the pads. You will need to use a screwdriver to twist the star looking nut clockwise to adjust them. Hope this is a good enough description, it's somewhat difficult to get them adjusted perfectly but from what I've heard, as a good rule of thumb, is to tighten the star bolt two full turns at a time, put the disk and wheel on and see if it rotates. Once you get to the point where it no longer rotates back off 3 full turns.

This is really great information. However, because the above process might be a little more difficult it might be best to start by inspecting the e-brake cable first. Often over the years a cable will begin to sag, as well as the cable that is between the two rear wheels. Check to see if these are sagging. I am sure that the main line has an adjustment and this would be a good place to start. I think that the cable that runs between the rear wheels also has an adjustment, maybe on both wheels. If this fails to tighten the brakes then most definitely go with the above mentioned process.

Quick Reply: How do you adjust E-brake?