Rancho adjustable shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rancho adjustable shocks

About a month ago, I installed a 2" AS level kit on my truck, and added 33" BFG AT/KOs. Now I'm realizing I probably should have gotten some beefier shocks while I was at it.

I was thinking about getting some Rancho RS9000XLs for the rear. I do some light off-roading, and I like the fact that they are adjustable. What can I use for the front that might also be adjustable? Am I limited in my choices because of the levelling kit?

Old 06-08-2009, 12:18 AM
im running those shocks on all 4 corners, and i drive on pavement as well as farm land, and to be honest i believe they are all set at 5 or 6, and ive never even once thought about changing them to a different setting, its always smooth

Old 06-08-2009, 01:53 AM
Suspended
well i would just get the bilstein shocks up front set them at 2" of lift, you can ditch the spacer, and add bilsteins in the rear.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:42 AM
I'm running the adjustable Rancho's on all four corners as well. Very nice shocks. I don't change the settings too often because I like the ride with the settings I've dialed in, but its nice to know I can when I want to. I would definitely get them again.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by VTHokieF150
I'm running the adjustable Rancho's on all four corners as well. Very nice shocks. I don't change the settings too often because I like the ride with the settings I've dialed in, but its nice to know I can when I want to. I would definitely get them again.
So what exactly do you have on the front? I was looking at this site http://4wheelonline.com/Products.asp...oductId=241746, and it has a disclaimer that I need struts in the front. I sent them an email, but I basically got a canned response "yeah you can use ranchos, but you'll need struts and they'll cost more." Not very helpful...didn't even tell me if my levelling kit would have to go...

I honestly doubt I'll adjust them very often, but I figured if I'm going to buy adjustable shocks, I might as well go all out and be able to adjust them from in the cab. Not really interested in the Bilsteins, just because I'd like the be a little different.

Thanks for any replies.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:40 PM
The strut is the name of the assembly with the coilover and shock in the front of your vehicle, (assuming your '04 is in the '04-'08 body style, not the heritage '04.) You do not need anything special to use the rancho adjustable shocks. Just get the ones that fit your application, sounds like stock suspension, and you replace the shock in your strut assembly. Replacing the shock requires the strut assembly to be taken apart using a spring compressor. You may want to consider taking it to a shop so they can use the heavy duty wall mounted compressor they probably have. Your leveling kit will be fine. You will have the same setup you have now, except you can adjust your shock. The in-cab controller would be nice, but I haven't been able to justify the price, I think its around $250 for the wireless kit. I don't adjust them enough and when I do it only takes a minute to reach under the truck and do it.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rancho 9000xls

I have been using these Shocks and Struts for about three weeks. I have used the adjustments for heavy loads, interstate travel, and off road conditions. They function amazingly when compared to the stock set up.

The front installation consists of struts the rear shocks. The cost difference is about $100 more for each strut compared to the shocks.If you install them yourself you will need a spring compressor for the front end.

Here are some pictures...

I would do it again in an instant...

Last edited by jdruzik; 07-01-2009 at 02:07 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:18 AM
I have the Rancho Quicklifts as well. I like the ability to adjust them.I'm waiting on the controller, should be here next week.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by VTHokieF150
The strut is the name of the assembly with the coilover and shock in the front of your vehicle, (assuming your '04 is in the '04-'08 body style, not the heritage '04.) You do not need anything special to use the rancho adjustable shocks. Just get the ones that fit your application, sounds like stock suspension, and you replace the shock in your strut assembly. Replacing the shock requires the strut assembly to be taken apart using a spring compressor. You may want to consider taking it to a shop so they can use the heavy duty wall mounted compressor they probably have. Your leveling kit will be fine. You will have the same setup you have now, except you can adjust your shock. The in-cab controller would be nice, but I haven't been able to justify the price, I think its around $250 for the wireless kit. I don't adjust them enough and when I do it only takes a minute to reach under the truck and do it.
Great response and thanks for beating me to this. I also agree if you don't have a spring compressor, just take them to a shop. Easier than buying a compressor, or you can rent one. But it can be dangerous.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:10 PM
jdruzik

Did you buy the Ranchos online? If so, where?

Thanks for the reply! Your truck looks sick.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought the Ranchos mounted body up? The ones for my '02 do.

Also, by definition, these truck do not have a strut. It has a "coil-over" which is nothing more than a shock with the spring attached to it. A strut does not have a spring on it and the top is mounted in a way that it is used to adjust front end alignment by moving the top mount around. Look at something with a strut on it. It does not have an upper control arm. Even if some web sit or whatever called it a strut for your truck, they're wrong. It's a coil-over. Take the coil spring off and you are left with a normal shock. Not the case with a strut.

The XL's are also on my short list of shocks to try next, but I think I'm gonna splurge and get the remote reservoir ones!! Resi's just look cool!!:-)

Old 06-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by WVxlt
jdruzik

Did you buy the Ranchos online? If so, where?

Thanks for the reply! Your truck looks sick.
We carry them.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my R9000XLs as well and would definitely buy them again. I have them all set to 7 but since gas is going up in price, I am going to air up the tires a bit more, then drop my settings to 5. I have found that balancing psi and shock settings are the best way to dial in that perfect ride.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by ShockGuys
We carry them.
how much?

Old 06-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by thorherc67
how much?
Sir,

Rancho doesn't make shocks that can support a 6" lifted application. You would need to go with Bilstein as far as products we carry.

Quick Reply: Rancho adjustable shocks