fabtech vs procomp

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fabtech vs procomp

I keep reading post about both of these lift kits and don't see any real reason that one kit is better than the other other than appearance...

What makes one better or more superior than the other...I had a procomp on my tacoma and like it but also have friends that swear by fabtech and skyjacker....I really want a kit for this truck but can't decide which kit to buy...Is the fabtech actually worth extra money or is it just bling. Personally I don't like the fact that I have to use struts that are longer limiting me to only using fabtech struts versus using the stock strut and adding a top spacer like the procomp kit...

Another alternative considering how much these kits cost I am strongly considering just SAS'ing the truck considering that I would kike to be running 37" tires which usually cause a lot of problems with IFS...

Old 04-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All of the reviews I've read agree that the Fabtech is a little better quality than the Pro COmp. But don't get me wrong, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Pro Comp.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to me, the only way of correctly performing a SAS on these late model IFS trucks is to either cut the front IFS frame crossmember out, and reinforce the frame crush points you just created. this is more complicated then it first seems, as you will most probably have to factor in the addition of a spring perch as well, if you plan on running leaf springs. either that, or you're looking at a lot of lift to prevent that frame crossmember from smacking the front diff on the solid axle.

also, the frame rails themselves are irregularly shaped, and are hard to fabricate with. also, keep in mind a Dana 44 is not really any stronger than the 8.8 IFS axle you already have.

i would not hesitate to run 37's on these IFS trucks. at the very worst, you're looking at getting custom cv shafts for extra strength.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:44 AM
As far as the two lifts are concerned, either one will be more than capable. If you want to go with 37's you will need more than 6" of lift. You would be better served by adding a leveling kit to the top of a Fabtech kit than trying to double-stack a Pro Comp kit. Another alternative is to buy the Bilstein leveling shocks and set them to 2" on the Pro Comp kit. Either way you will see 6" + 2" on top of that. I like the Pro Comp better in terms of it's ride quality and steering. The track width is not needlessly increased and the steering geometery just seems better. Sure the Fabtech comes with a better rear lift and a prettier front cross member, but I'd rather start with the Pro Comp kit, add a set of Bilstein shocks to the front, throw Pro Comp's sexy skid plate on and add a leaf to the rear.

Hopefully that helps a little bit.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Tornadom. would you deem the stage 2 procomp a reasonable upgrade for minor to moderate offroading?

or will the stage 1 be plenty durable?

Old 04-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by Tornadom
As far as the two lifts are concerned, either one will be more than capable. If you want to go with 37's you will need more than 6" of lift. You would be better served by adding a leveling kit to the top of a Fabtech kit than trying to double-stack a Pro Comp kit. Another alternative is to buy the Bilstein leveling shocks and set them to 2" on the Pro Comp kit. Either way you will see 6" + 2" on top of that. I like the Pro Comp better in terms of it's ride quality and steering. The track width is not needlessly increased and the steering geometery just seems better. Sure the Fabtech comes with a better rear lift and a prettier front cross member, but I'd rather start with the Pro Comp kit, add a set of Bilstein shocks to the front, throw Pro Comp's sexy skid plate on and add a leaf to the rear.

Hopefully that helps a little bit.
I agree with what you are saying...I was planning on either the bilstein or a levelling kit depending on the kit...I don't really like the idea of being limited to only using Fabtechs struts due to not having the spacer on top...I would like to be able to use factory length struts which is why I was interested in the procomp kit...I just think that the IFS kits still have not come down in price much yet and are extremely expensive for what they are...I have SAS'ed two trucks with much success, One with leafs and one with coils for a much higher price but had very little breakage issues after the fact...Has anyone on this site done this yet? Just wondering how they solved the steering box issue and whether they used a high or low steer...I am really leaning more toward the SAS overall though....

Quick Reply: fabtech vs procomp