vibration since lift

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a spacer isnt going to be enough i put the new shaft in and it still has a slight viberation, im still not totally happy with it, but it is sticking out exactly how much the stock shaft did before lift as per the driveshaft shops reccomendation, in my opinion my shaft should have been 1-1.5 inches longer, but i really cant see it causeing that big of a problem, its well within spec and sits closer then it did stock, could be these big **** 37's just wobble, they were staticly balanced opposed to dynamically, which i am going to try to do

to me it still sticks out to much but when measured it is indeed 3" longer, because the style of the yoke is different from stock so the preception is different, the length from the u-joint to the beginning of yoke on the stock d.s is MUCH longer thus sticking out more and less yoke in the housing, the NEW yoke distance from u-joint to beginning of yoke is MUCH shorter

im going to call them back and see if they can lenghten it another 1.5 inches it just doesnt seem right

Last edited by 04 kbgt; 12-08-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it doesnt really look right, but when i get the spacer ill snap some pics to compare

Old 12-10-2008, 11:40 AM
got it installed this morning and the vibration is still there but not as bad as before, mine looks like yours now im goin to try getting my tires rebalanced and see if that helps

Old 12-10-2008, 02:00 PM
hey 04 kbgt i went by discount and my tires are wearing unevenly so i think it might be alignment

Old 12-10-2008, 02:01 PM
you guys gotta realize, your in a lifted truck, with harder, tougher, less equally balanced tires. They have larger voids, and larger lugs. Your ride wont be "like stock" or smooth as glass. Your going to have a slight vibration.

Do you feel it in your steering wheel ? Or do you feel a "wiggle" behind your butt ?

Old 12-10-2008, 02:19 PM
i know that but i have the same terra grapplers when i had my leveling kit and they were fine then, but i feel it in the steering wheel a lot and there is a little bit of wiggle but i think the spacer helped it, i thinking my front end alignment is off

Old 12-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Ya, I know that two of my pro comps didn't want to balance out right. I keep them together, so I get 3k miles of pretty smooth ride, the 3k with a little shimmy ! ha ha

I am considering the steering stabalizer when funds permit it, just to throw it out there.

(and I am not saying your wrong in any way man, its just hard to help online, so i throw out ideas ! )

Old 12-10-2008, 02:34 PM
yea i know its hard to help online, im going to get the stabalizer this week or next, im goin to get new tires because i need them up front and get it aligned some where else and hopefully it fixes it

Old 12-10-2008, 05:20 PM
it has a wobble in the peddle and butt, and absolutely NOOOO viberation in the steering wheel,

my friend had 37's toyos (same as mine) on his 350 and they were not this bad, but like i said get them dynamically balanced, i am going to, my driveshaft lenght is supposed to be perfect, it needs that 1.5" gap in the yoke to allow drivetrain movement either flexing or hard highway bumps, so i doubt thats the problem, at least there is someone else out there having the same problem, i am going to perhaps to try a stabilizer...it just sucks cause this is my daily,and i wouldnt care but my other car is a 650whp mustang so no way in the ny winter...

Old 12-10-2008, 05:43 PM
That mustang would be quite the ride in the ice !!!

I would check the tires. Like you said, get the dynamically balanced.

You could also look into road force balancing the tires. Sometimes that will get it right.

Somethings for you guys to also consider that can cause a vibration:

Bent wheel
Tire out of round (radial or lateral runout)
Wheel-to-axle mounting error
Inconsistent tire sidewall stiffness (force variation)
Brake component wear or failure
Drive train or engine component wear or failure
Suspension wear or failure
Wheel bearing wear or failure
Wheel alignment is out

I also woudn't suggest a steering stabalizer if your not getting the shimmy in the wheel (unless you have the coin and want it of course). Have you rotated the tires since the vibration ? no change ? try putting your rears up front, and fronts in the rear, and see if that changes the "feel" to it.

Sorry guys, but I am trying to help. Wish I could say its "this" and be done ! Hopefully yall will figure it out, but I'll keep the thinkin cap on.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Sounds like you need a wedge under the leaf springs to adjust the pinion angle. Just make sure it's a double hole or slotted wedge and not a single hole. Fat to the back on lifted truck.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:12 PM
good advice and a smart fella, I'd take his suggestion and try it out.

Honestly, didn't even think of it. :o

Old 12-10-2008, 06:56 PM
i already have a 3 degree shim, that i had to drill for the 2 holes,it is temporary because i had them from my jeep i should have thrown that out sooner!

its a new truck that i owned from new, was smooth as glass up untill the lift, all the parts i bought were new, so i doubt its anything bent, im going to get it re-aligned, and rebalanced..

however swapping tires front to back didnt help, umm 4wp sent the tires inflated @ 20psi nice guys huh lol...i am running about 42 right now, load rating is 60psi max, 50 psi was hard as hell and didnt help the ride any

yeaa that mustang is quite fun in the snow yea right! i dont even go in the rain 4th gear @ 80 it will spin em

Last edited by 04 kbgt; 12-10-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:29 PM
2 Questions... Are the shocks upside-down? And are those aluminum blocks?

Old 12-10-2008, 08:36 PM
1. no they arent
2. yesss sir, and an aluminum jack to boot

Quick Reply: vibration since lift