1st Time Trucker & New @ this lowering stuff

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 05:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Time Trucker & New @ this lowering stuff

Hey Guys.....
I know there's probably 1 million threads about this topic but I just can't seem to find the right one that helps.
...too much reading no answer - well answers but still confused.
I just do not wanna get this wrong because i'm overseas in Germany with the military and shipping things back and forth alone, is going to cost me an arm and a leg.
Now to get to the point.
I have a 2008 Lariat 4x2 Supercrew. What nice lowering kits should i be looking at if i want a 2"/4" drop. i don't wanna feel like i'm sitting in a go kart actually.
Now the 2nd question i have is what to do for wheels in that case. 20's or 22's. since there's not any truck modding that i can look at here and it's my first time with a truck i don't know what to look for.I only have experience with Mustangs.The pics online don't help cause i see lots of posers saying they have 22's or 24's and it seems they don't look bigger than the wheels from the guys that say they have 20's.
So i'm thinking 20's with 275's?
Can you guys give me some pointers?

Old 07-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the site. No doubt, go with at least 22 inch wheels or you will regret it later. I'm not an expert on lowering but everyone praises the McGaughy kits.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Suspended
Well, it depends on the money situation. I personally would never lower a truck again using only a lowering kit. I put a 4/6 drop (Belltech) on my old truck (04 Sierra) I loved it at first, then after driving a bunch and after the parts settling in I hated it. So then I invested in a full F.B.S.S. air-bag system and it totally changed the whole truck in handling and comfort. Also helped with entering/exiting driveways, speed bumps, potholes, etc. So if you're not worried about dropping some loot, get bags. Just my opinion/experience with lowered trucks. Post pics with whatever you do. Oh and I wouldn't go anything below 22's.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:31 PM
thx

Thx guys!
That really helps with the rim decision!!!!
I just would like to maintain a semi smooth ride.
I heard they improve handling a lot but i also i heard someone tell me they take away the comfort riding. heard they ride really hard unless your loading or towing something! I don't wanna feel like i'm riding a Go Kart!
Will any dealer be able to put those in or do I need like a Crazy underground crew of guys that are experienced cracks with this?
You know i have the overseas syndrome i don't have a lot of guys to choose from with truck knowledge. Since noone can really afford them here cause gas is like $10.50 a gallon. (really! no joke)
What's you riding experience Dankle? (and before someone get's off the subject here, I mean his TRUCK WITH AIR BAGS nothing else!!!) LOL

Old 07-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Suspended
Time77, sorry for leaving you hanging yesterday. I did a little research for you and it seems no one makes a "readymade" kit for airbags on 04+ Ford trucks. You will have to create your own set-up. Is the truck there with you or still in the USA? How savvy are you with mechanical work? I will ask some people I know and see what I can dig up for you. It doesn't seem like just any shop will be able to do it. My experience with bags was before when it was just a belltech lowering kit it rode like a go-kart, stiff ride and you felt every bump in the road. With the bags installed, the only time it rode rough was if I had it slammed, or full lift. During normal driving I had the ride height set at 65% inflation, and it was smooth as glass. Ill post better info after I do more research for Fords.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Thumbs up Thnx a million

Nah dankle don't apologize man.
I'm very thankful for all the Help.
Well i was going to order my 22's and i was told the biggest tires i could fit would be 295/45. Is that right? they said 305/45 would scrape!
Can't imagine that! Are they really to wide?

Well i'm gonna trust what you on that one. Yeah if u can pick a few brains for me - that would be cool cuase i have to do all my research online. It takes days some times to get answers!

Thx again man...

Old 07-25-2008, 10:20 AM
oh - man??!!!???!?!?

Truck is here with me already!!!
I'm pretty good with my mechanical work but When it comes to supension i don't take any chances. I let the Pros do it...
I've helped wit lowering kits on my mustang but that's it!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
305 tire is over 10" wide

Honestly i would do a 2/4 or 3/5 with helper bags in the rear. and on 22s

Old 07-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Suspended
There is a member on here with a bagged out new body f150. The member name is anaheim drew. Maybe you can hit him up and get specs on his set-up. His truck looks SWEET!

Old 07-28-2008, 12:18 AM
I have the Eibach drop and I'm very happy with it. I have a total of 2/5 and I dont have any rubbing issues with a 305/40/22 tire.

Quick Reply: 1st Time Trucker & New @ this lowering stuff