Add a Leaf, Torsion Bar crank, tire size idea?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add a Leaf, Torsion Bar crank, tire size idea?

I use my truck, 03 FX4 extended cab short bed, to tow a car trailer and some other trailers, but mainly a car trailer with my buggy on it. I towed a 4Runner a couple of weeks ago and noticed my truck was sagging alot, almost like I had the truck at the tongue of the trailer, but the runner was very far back on the trailer.

In thinking, I think an add a leaf setup to handle the load a little better, but it would lift the truck some. Thats not a problem, I would crank the torsion bars to compensate for the extra lift in the back. However, going up about 2 inches, my current 265/70R17s would look small, even a 285 would look rather tiny. If it was stock, a 285 would look fine.

My question is, is anyone running the same setup as I am thinking, what tire are you running? Is there another setup that would work just as well, if not better, that I have overlooked? Any other opinions, thoughts, comments, ideas, concerns, what have you that may help or something to look out for?

Thanks in Advance guys
Cameron

Old 05-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Ohh, I would like to keep the 17s too, right now I am using money for my buggy, not to spend a lot on wheels for my truck.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:30 PM
You can run a 305/70/17 or a 285/70/17. I have my torsion bars cranked 3/4 of the way and im running 285/75/16's they dont look tiny at all. with your torsion bars cranked to max and a add a leaf in the rear you can run a 35" tire on stock wheels. You will have to trim alittle off the front valance!

you could run a 315/70/17 which is a 34.6" tire that would work with an add-a-leaf and torsion bars cranked all the way

Last edited by 4.2trimble; 05-05-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Would it be worth it to get new keys so I dont have the bars cranked all the way? I know in cranking the bars, you lose some ride quality.

Now, I know its a truck, not a cadilac, but I dont want it to ride like its on wood wheels, ya know?

Old 05-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No. The aftermarket keys do the same thing as cranking up your torsion bars with the oem adjustment keys. Both increase preload on the torsion bars.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Just an update on what Im plotstigatin - I picked up an add a leaf and I will install it, but remove the blocks. I will crank the torsion bars to help level it out and throw some 285s and call it a day. Hoping to start when I get my front shocks (on order now, should be in sometime next week) I have new rear shocks as well.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
even w/ the torsion bars cranked all the way, the ride isn't that bad. it just makes every bump that is hard feel HARD.
why not spend the little bit extra for a body lift and some 35's?

Trending Topics

Old 06-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by CameronFX4
Just an update on what Im plotstigatin - I picked up an add a leaf and I will install it, but remove the blocks. I will crank the torsion bars to help level it out and throw some 285s and call it a day. Hoping to start when I get my front shocks (on order now, should be in sometime next week) I have new rear shocks as well.
Any updates? I ran 285/75/16's on my truck with the T-bars cranked and it didnt look bad. Then i ran the same tires on my truck after i installed a body lift ($300 including some stuff i had to buy) and the 285's didnt look bad kinda looked like a mini F250.

Now im rolling on 36's

Old 06-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by minimonster17
even w/ the torsion bars cranked all the way, the ride isn't that bad. it just makes every bump that is hard feel HARD.
why not spend the little bit extra for a body lift and some 35's?
I would love to do that, and seriously considered it. However, I am not a huge fan of bady lifts (even though I was thinking hard on them), but I use this truck as a DD and for towing, which kind of ruled both of those out. The reason for the add-a-leaf is to take up some more load and get rid of the blocks. I hate lift blocks. When I load up my trailer, even with little tongue weight, my truck sags worse than grandma without a bra on (bad picture, but you know what I mean).

For 35s, I would want to do new wheels so I wouldnt have to trim much if any, and push it out some for a little more off roady look. 35s plus, say new 20s (at my price) isnt cheap. I am building a buggy and could use that money on that.

Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
Any updates? I ran 285/75/16's on my truck with the T-bars cranked and it didnt look bad. Then i ran the same tires on my truck after i installed a body lift ($300 including some stuff i had to buy) and the 285's didnt look bad kinda looked like a mini F250.

Now im rolling on 36's
I got the parts, except for the front shocks. I need new u-bolts and will spend one night at work doing it up. Then I will do the 285s and the torsion bars when I can align it again.

I have the 36s on my buggy and 40s soon, but they are on 15s. 17s and I would plot

Old 07-01-2008, 01:53 AM
yeah i tow every now and then.. but i only tow a flats boat which isnt much the body lift doesnt mind it (even thou your not supposed to tow from the bumper after the BL) Oh well i had no choice i wanted to go fishin and i havent got my hitch yet... im being lazy.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:28 AM
trimble, i guess our next project for your truck is to install a reese hitch then, lol.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:56 AM
yeah im geussing so! as soon as i buy one! check your PM's i sent you one!

Old 07-01-2008, 12:43 PM
cameron, keep in mind that the 6'' susp and 3'' body is the only way to go BIG on this gen F-150 while keeping the IFS. i've seen plenty of guys drive their trucks hard w/ the body lifts, tow over their weight rating, and load the crap out of the bed. they all have held up fine. as long as you don't tow heavy w/ the bumper, and put the crush blocks under the bed, you will be fine.

trimble: i sent you a reply. sorry i couldn't get back to you sooner, didn't even realize you sent me one.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by minimonster17
cameron, keep in mind that the 6'' susp and 3'' body is the only way to go BIG on this gen F-150 while keeping the IFS. i've seen plenty of guys drive their trucks hard w/ the body lifts, tow over their weight rating, and load the crap out of the bed. they all have held up fine. as long as you don't tow heavy w/ the bumper, and put the crush blocks under the bed, you will be fine.
Money has become an issue since I first posted this (still building a buggy, but have some other stuff that came up as well). I got all the stuff I need for a steal with a hookup at 4WP.

Im not trying to go big, in fact all I will end up doing is lifting the front about 1 inch with the torsion bar crank (aal but remove the block, should even out). Should help with a little beefiness with the tires all done up and should still ride decent (read above, not needing caddy ride but not horse and carriage either) and handle the load of a car on the trailer behind me too.

Quick Reply: Add a Leaf, Torsion Bar crank, tire size idea?