installing 3.5 fabtech spindle lift and need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing 3.5 fabtech spindle lift and need help

im installing a fabtech 3.5" spindle lift and I am done with the front...I have started the back for the 2" spacer...I have the u-bolts off of the axel. My problem is the nut on top of the leaf springs....I cant get either side to come off....and im using PB blaster and air tools....did ford possilbly put lock tight on these??? Should I try heating them or something...thanks guys

Old 03-14-2008, 02:01 PM
If you're talking about the bolt that holds the leafs together, it will probably snap. Everyone I've ever tried to get off has broke, just put a couple of C-clamps on the leaf pack and let it break. Then replace the broken bolt with a good grade 8 bolt.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:52 PM
yes it is the bolt that holds the leafs together....there is no way to get ahold of anything on the bottom...and it just spins...very frustrating..ill try some c-clamps and hopefully they will break out...if not i dont know what to do

Old 03-14-2008, 04:58 PM
You can always just C-clamp it on both sides of the bolt anduse an angle grinder or sawzaw and cut it off then just tap out the stud. Just use the C-clamps so when the bolt breaks, the tension on the leafs don't spring apart and hurt you.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:03 PM
okay if i do that what is the best way to tap the bolt out...like a punch and hammer?

Old 03-14-2008, 05:42 PM
You said you're putting a spacer on which I'm assuming you mean block and if so then you don't need to take the springs apart. If you're putting on an add a leaf then jack the vehicle up and put vice grips on the bottom of the center bolts and the nut will come off. If not cut it with a torch or grinder.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:07 PM
yes i am doing a block kit...i dont want the leafs apart but I do have to have them off of the axel

Trending Topics

Old 03-14-2008, 06:12 PM
You don't need to mess with the center bolts at all, just jack up the vehicle by the frame with the u bolts off and once you have enough room put the blocks in and then let the springs down on the block making sure you have it centered

Edit: Be happy the center bolts didn't come loose otherwise you would've had a much bigger, unnecessary project on your hands.

Last edited by KansasJoe; 03-14-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:24 PM
when i jack the truck up by the frame everything comes up...the leafs are attached to the frame with a mount and that is what I cannot get loose

Old 03-14-2008, 06:27 PM
I meant the leafs are mounted to the axles..so when I jack up the frame the axel and all comes up

Old 03-14-2008, 06:32 PM
The only thing that holds the leaf springs to the axle are the u bolts. You may need to either take out the bottom shock bolt which will be 18mm socket and wrench or possibly loosen up the sway bar if you have one. If the bottom shock bolt is out and the sway bar is not an issue then the springs will separate from the axle you may need to keep coming up with the jack and if your jack doesn't go high enough then you may need to jack up from the rear axle and then put jackstands under the frame and then let the jack down to get your separation but it's a lot harder to center this way.

Edit: It seems you think the center bolt which goes through the spring is also bolted into the spring perch but it's not, it's only purpose is to hold the springs together and locate the axle. Do not take the center bolt out to install a block.

Last edited by KansasJoe; 03-14-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:33 PM
if your putting a block in all you need to do is undo the u bolts, lift the frame and springs away from the axle, slide the block in,then reverse with the new longer u bolts. you dont need to remove the springs from the hanger(front) or shackle(rear). didnt you get instructions with the block kit? is there anyone else helping you?

Old 03-14-2008, 06:41 PM
the instructions are **** and no im not trying to take the hanger or shackle off....I guess my main problem is my jack not going high enough...i didnt have help with the front spindles and if i could do that i know i can do this...maybe with a little of your help...thanks

Old 03-14-2008, 06:43 PM
I'll be at work for about 15 more minutes so give me a call and I can explain it better than I can write it. General Spring - 888-829-0619...Joe

Old 03-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by faulkincanyon
when i jack the truck up by the frame everything comes up...the leafs are attached to the frame with a mount and that is what I cannot get loose
this is why we all think your trying to take the leafs off the frame. if you can put the jack where the frame dips down closer to the cab you can probably get the frame and leafs high enough. if you can get your tires off the ground 2" thats all you need to slide the block in,actualy not even that high. you only need to get a 2 " gap between the axle and leafs. why did you think that taking the leafs off the frame would give you enough space to put a block in? are you trying to use the bottle jack the truck comes with? if so thats your problem. you need a good 2+ ton floor jack.

Quick Reply: installing 3.5 fabtech spindle lift and need help