2004 Tilt Steering Doesn't Lock

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 Tilt Steering Doesn't Lock

I bought a 2004 F-150 XLT Regular Cab (4.6 L) a couple of months ago. I realized several days later, you could move the steering wheel up or down while in drive with moderate pressure applied. The tilt lever is in the locked position. The dealer wants to replace the steering column. Anyone experienced this or have any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:53 PM
I have the same problem with my 2004. Have you come up with a solution yet? I have looked online, but no real help so far.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:44 PM
2004 Tilt Steering Doesn't Lock

Originally Posted by nocode
I have the same problem with my 2004. Have you come up with a solution yet? I have looked online, but no real help so far.
The dealer ended up replacing the steering column. I had to wait five weeks on the part. I had an extended warranty that covered the part and the dealer paid the deductible. I don't know what the cost was. It fixed the problem, but it's really tough to release the tilt lock handle now.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Tilt Lock Adjusted

Several weeks later the dealer adjusted the tilt lock where it works normal. Over a year now, and everything is good.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by StraitJ
Several weeks later the dealer adjusted the tilt lock where it works normal. Over a year now, and everything is good.
So there IS a way to adjust it so it re-tightens???? My '05 Exploder is having the same problem.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:22 PM
The steering column had to be replaced to correct the up and down movement. When they replaced the column, the tilt lock was so tight, you could hardly release it. The dealer later adjusted it where it required normal pressure to release.
To answer your question, the steering column was replaced to prevent the up and down movement of the column.

Quick Reply: 2004 Tilt Steering Doesn't Lock