Need lower ball joints before alginment can be performed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need lower ball joints before alginment can be performed?

My truck is at the shop, just got some new Toyo OpenCountry A/T LT265/75/R16 installed onto the OEM rims. I also cranked up my torsion bars to raise the truck front end 1.25". Because of these reasons I've taken other members' advise and am getting a wheel alignment.

Initially the mechanic figured everything would be good for an alignment. But after closer inspection the alignment tech said that the lower ball joints should be replaced before he proceeded further.

My truck has 102,000 km (63,380 miles) on it and the only front end work I've had to do was replace a lower tie rod link. I do use the truck off-road especially during hunting season. And also use it to tow a travel trailer in the summer. Does it sound legit that I would need the lower ball joints? And, should I have anything else replaced at the same-time (that would save on labour charges ie, shocks, upper ball joints?

Old 01-29-2008, 12:55 AM
ya that sounds about right for ball joints. i have the same problem. you probably will want to replace the upper ball joints at the same time too. they can align it without new ball joints but it wont be perfect.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:04 AM
i just got my truck aligned and it need lower ball joints as well. The tech said these model ford trucks are bad about going through ball joints. He said just about every other one needs new ones. He also showed me my old ones, and they really were worn out.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by alsupercab
i just got my truck aligned and it need lower ball joints as well. The tech said these model ford trucks are bad about going through ball joints. He said just about every other one needs new ones. He also showed me my old ones, and they really were worn out.
What did it cost for you to have them replaced? US or Cdn funds? Do you notice a difference in the ride?

Old 01-29-2008, 01:20 AM
it was 380 with alignment and i also needed an idler arm. I noticed a HUGE difference in the handling. The steering felt a lot tighter.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:30 AM
The only specialty tools really are a ball joint press and a 38mm(I Think) socket. If you have any mechanical background it is dooable.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/36...ght=ball+joint

Only if you feel comfortable though. Better off paying someone if you dont have someone around that can bail you out. But thats what makes this site so frickin sweet.

Quick Reply: Need lower ball joints before alginment can be performed?