AAL vs. Airbags.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the FireStone bags as well and love them. I do not have onboard air installed yet, although i have everything sitting in the box on the shelf. I bought my bags through summit racing. When not in use i leave 5-10psi in them as directed. When they are pumped up to 50-60 or more, it raises the back of the truck pretty good and it rides like my dads F350....

Old 11-15-2007, 08:35 PM
I also have the Firestone Airbags and have been pleased. I originally bought them when I had my AS 2.5" leveling kit installed, to prevent the rear from sagging when towing my 18 foot trailer. The manual recommends at least 10psi of pressure.(i keep mine at 20psi)

PROS:
1:Prevent sag when towing or hauling if you have a leveling kit installed
2:IMO improves highway handling by stabilizing the rear, with less roll.

Cons:
1: minimum air pressure must be maintained to not damage the airbag
2: You will need to completely remove the air from the bags if the vehicle is lifted from the frame or else you will tear them by hyperextending them.(ex: tire shops use caution)
3:lose some flexibility while offroading(for the same reasons as above)

If you can live with the cons then they will serve you well. Regarding air, I installed the extremeoutback with a 4gallon air tank. Simple install myself, only time consuming since I wanted it done right. I have air tools but don't believe the hype. Even with a 4 gallon tank and an impact wrench you can't get enough cfm to keep the thing running without several pauses while the tank fills. Here's the link to the compressor.
http://www.extremeoutback.com/
it is nice having air on board. Good luck

Old 11-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Tx-FX: At my shop we use the old 4 post lifts (four arms under the car on the frame, no support for the suspension) and that is how i primarily lift my truck to work on it. Since my rear suspension will droop down completely, would it not be a good idea to get the airbags?

Old 11-17-2007, 07:38 PM
MercedesTech. The manual states on the airbags that if the vehicle is lifted from the frame and the airbags are not completely deflated, They may tear. That is why everytime I may take my vehicle to get worked on, I let them know(plus there is a warning sticker in the kit) about the bags and I personally remove all of the air from them. I have had them 2 years with many rotations, oil changes and undercarriage work without problems. Just REMEMBER so that you won't have to replace them. Other than that, I believe they were a great investment. Whether you tow or haul or not the truck sits level with no rear sag. Also when driving down the highway, or turning, the rear feels stable, and doesn't roll. I bought them at

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...tion/to=r.html

They had the best price at the time with free shipping when I was looking for them, but there may be another place cheaper( I don't know for sure). Installing them was easy just time consuming if you want the job right. You don't really need to even lift your truck. And only simple hand tools. If you don't have an air compressor yet you can use a bicyle or foot pump to inflate them for the time being while you get things goin'. But be cautious of lifting by the frame UNLESS you DEFLATE them completely. Take care

Old 11-18-2007, 10:14 PM
How much lift does this add to a stock rear suspension? This look pretty cost effective and might solve my problems if I can get this close to 8" or more of lift. I already have a compressor in my truck for my air horns so I'm half way there.

Last edited by Impact9; 11-18-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:31 PM
would it replace the 5 inch block I have installed or go on top. Does anyone have any after market lift with the airbag setup??

Old 11-19-2007, 11:37 AM
The firestone Airbags(which I am talking about) are meant only for a stock form rear suspension F150. I did have some custom support brackets made to fit the suspension with the lift block from my Rancho suspension when the lift kit was installed, but mainly bought them when I had my 2.5" leveling kit installed. I still use them modified. They do not add 8" of lift to the rear, they are meant for strengthening the rear not lifting it. Your ride would be pretty harsh. One bracket holds the bottom plate where the bag sits to the leaf springs and part of the bracket rests on the bump stop on your axle. Another U bolt holds the clamp down to the axle. With a lift block you will need to make a longer support(not supplied by the company) to help stablize the airbags. I'm sure they DO make air bag lift kits I just don't know who and how much.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:40 AM
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...tion/to=r.html

heres a link so you can see how they are mounted. they do lift the vehicle when inflated, because the weight of the bed rests on the bags but you lose your suspension travel since the bags are ALSO supporting the majority of the weight. They do not replace the rear block. I have not measured it for certain, but in stock form, it seems you can raise the rear about 3" inches or slightly more. If you have a suspenison lift you will need to make some bracket modifications with a longer support.

Last edited by TX-FX-4; 11-19-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:03 PM
Excellent thread. I tow a 4500lb trailer + vehicle with my 01 F150 SC and found that I could use a bit of a lift when towing.

Question: Firestone seems to make a variety of airbag kits, e.g. sport-rite, air rite, ride-rite, level-rite...

Which do peeps recommend for general towing of around 4500lbs with an F150?

Old 03-31-2008, 09:13 PM
i didnt read the whole thread but in offroading do these have any chances or getting ripped? just wondering.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:58 AM
just a question of curiosity??? i have the 8 in rize lift is there any kit out there that would create more lift for me thanks

Old 04-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Eddie: I beleive your looking for the Firstone Ride-Rites, but im sure more could work.

4.2trimble: Yes, the COULD get ripped when off roading. Kinda unlikely, seeing as how they are tucked up, over the axle, between the frame, but they COULD rip if something happened to them. Also, iff off-roading, or allowing your rear end to fully droop, then you need to keep the bags somewhat inflated from what i know about them. if not, they will droop too low and rip.

Dirtbound: Best way for you to get additional lift, would be to find some King Coilovers or Sway A Way (Racerunner) coilovers. They are fully adjustable, and can custom make em for you if needed (sway a way might not be doing this any more... they have gotten more and more popular w/ tons of demand). Check into finding a fully adjustable coilover, one you could crank to get an additional 2" lift in the front. Then you would need AAL in the rear to even it out.

***OR*** you could look into a Body Lift. Normally I wouldn't suggest it, but on these trucks they really don't look all that bad.

Quick Reply: AAL vs. Airbags.