83' Bl

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
83' Bl

I was wanting to get a 3" Body Lift for my 83" F150 4X4. I was wondering if I installed the kit if I would need any extensions........Brake Lines, Steering Stem, exc.? Also wondering what the maximum tire size I can fit without rubbing?......The tires will be 12.5" wide. Lastly was wanting to know the best way to approach installing the kit...It would probably be in my driveway. THANX

Old 09-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you buy a Performance Accessories kit, it should include everything you need. The only thing extra should be a set of PA's Gap Guards to cover the gaps in your wheelwells the body lift will create.
I'm not familar with your body style, but it's always a good idea to was the undercarriage of your truck before installing the lift and to start soaking the body mounts and bumper bolts with penatrating oil a few days prior to the lift.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:49 PM
A buddy of mine had a truck similar to your '83, if I remember correctly he ran a 3" body lift and 14" x 35" grounghawgs with slight rubbing on the radius arms. If your suspension has sagged, this will affect your clerance too. Your tire shop should be able to help pick a size that works for you. Good luck!

Old 09-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Thanx for the info.....But what would be the best way to install the 3" blocks? What is the best way to get the body off of the frame? Also would I need to recalobrate my speedometer if I went with 33s or 35s? Is this a job that a shop would have to do? And around how much would it cost?

Old 09-23-2007, 08:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Basically you do one side at a time. Loosen the bolts on one side of the cab, remove the ones on the other side. Lift that side of the cab and insert the blocks. Then do the other side and repeat the process on the bed. When you make sure the cab and bed are aligned perfectly, tighten them all down. I used a floor jack and some pieces of 2x4 to lift mine.