Autospring Leveling Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autospring Leveling Install

Ok, I realize the install of these have been discussed frequently on these boards. I've read a ton of threads, but can't seem to find info on a few things. My 2" spacers are in the mail and should arrive in time for me to install this weekend. 2 questions I have:

1 - Do I need an impact wrench to remove the 30 mm lower strut nut?? I don't have access to an impact wrench. I do have a torque wrench that with a 30mm deep socket, I could probably get decent leverage with. If i do need an impact wrench, does autozone (or similar store) usually have these available on the 'loaner' program??

2 - For seperating the upper ball joint from the steering knuckle, the nice set of directions i found on this board show hitting the steering knuckle with a hammer to break it loose. I discussed with a friend at work and he suggested using a ball joint seperator. Has anyone used one of these instead of hitting the knuckle with a hammer??

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-10-2007, 10:58 PM
You can rent any thing but its not just the gun you need air to run it.I smacked mine a few times with a dead blow hammer and it came loose but mine was new less than 2,000 miles on the truck.Its easy with air tools but you can do it with out.Just take your time and dont get in a rush and be sure to use jack stands
dont count on a jack to hold the truck up.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:26 AM
I Just did this last wknd with 82k miles on my 04. Get the Front End puller(pitman puller) set from Advanced autoparts just in case. I didnt until saturday and I was up untuil 230am friday putting stuff back together. The upper will be seized if u have had ur truck a while.

I dont recommend just hitting it, it wont bend but might lessen the strength of the metal messing with the ions etc. Yes it does actually happen. If you need more Info PM or IM me.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:33 AM
I'd add that the list of tools on the instructions fails to say that the metric sockets should be deep well.

I went to Sears to buy what I needed-straight from the instructions, and was doing a little swearing when I had my truck up on the Jack Stands.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:21 PM
just be careful on how you seperate the ball joint because you don't want to tear the boot and i just installed mine this last week and i hit it a couple of times with a hammer and it came lose, and the install probably took an hour and a half to two hours. Not to bad.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the responses!!

Old 07-18-2007, 07:49 AM
Should have listened to madcat. I finally got around to it last night and couldn't get the ball joint separated. I will get a pittman puller or gear puller to do the job.

I did a lot of reading on the install of these and found a few people that did the install without removing the 30mm lower control arm nut. I thought about it and it seems to make sense that it would work.

Anybody have any thoughts on if i'd be able to do the job w/out removing the 30mm nut?? What complications might that create??

Quick Reply: Autospring Leveling Install