Newbie needs help with lift and rear leafs!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie needs help with lift and rear leafs!

Hello, Everyone!!

I am a total newbie to trucks and just got my first ’88 F-150. I know this is probably of little interest to most of you that have ’00 and newer trucks, but maybe you can help me out nonetheless.

Again, please excuse my ignorance, but I am really new to trucks and also somewhat new to caring about the actual workings of my car.

So, that said, the problem is this. I really want to put a 4”-6” suspension lift on the truck.

Limitation: I don’t want to spend over $800-$1,000 for the whole thing (parts).

Also, I think that one of my leafs in the back may be a bit weak. The truck seems to sag on one side about 1/2” to an inch and the rear squeaks when I drive over bumps.

I heard that if you use a suspension lift with blocks in the rear and have a leaf issue that the matter may get compounded and get even worse.

So, I have done some research and found replacement leafs that give me a 4” lift in the rear for $400.

My questions now are:

What do I need to lift the front 4” (maintaining the rake) or 6” to level it out?

Are there lift kits for the front only?

If I use the new rear leafs that give me 4” lift, do I need new shocks in the rear as well?

I know this is a lot to ask, but I really appreciate everyone’s input!!!!

Thank you very much for your time!!!

Oliver

Old 06-18-2007, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you will need new shocks with that big of a lift,and i would go with 6'' in the front to level it out,you can always go with a block to get the rear up a little more if you want. you should be able to just get a lift for the front,but you can get kits with leaves instead of blocks so you don't have to buy the front and rear seperate. that will save a little $, and you can definitely find a kit for less than $800,and a good kit not just a cheap one

Quick Reply: Newbie needs help with lift and rear leafs!