Is stacking spacers really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BestNTx
Mine are at stock angles...
you guys have pics of your angle? check mine out, is it like or close to yours?

the first one is with the body lift i had put on (not sure if body lifts add to more angle) and the second one is pre-body lift.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:40 AM
Originally Posted by nooq
you guys have pics of your angle? check mine out, is it like or close to yours?

the first one is with the body lift i had put on (not sure if body lifts add to more angle) and the second one is pre-body lift.

Do you have pics of your CV angles? Your ball joint looks a little arched. Mine does not look that arched. If your ball joints are arched, I take it that your CV angles are arched also.
P.S. your truck is spotless! How do you get it that clean under there?

Old 05-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by BestNTx
Do you have pics of your CV angles? Your ball joint looks a little arched. Mine does not look that arched. If your ball joints are arched, I take it that your CV angles are arched also.
P.S. your truck is spotless! How do you get it that clean under there?
no i dont have any pics at the moment, but ill post some later today for ya. as for the cleaning part, basically pressure wash the wheel wells once a week and its stays nice and clean. and then the occasional armoral on the fender linings.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:00 AM
iam also a 2wd. what is causing me to have that arch like that? most everyone else's is normal.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:21 AM
I don't think your angle is really that bad. The ball joint is a ball joint after all, it can deal with a little angle. I wonder if it's because it's a 4x2? I snapped these pics for you so you can see what my angle is. I have the procomp 6" lift, but I'm 4x4.
from the side

from the front

These pics are in my gallery as well if they don't display properly you can see them there.

Last edited by Cuisi; 05-25-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Cuisi
I don't think your angle is really that bad. The ball joint is a ball joint after all, it can deal with a little angle. I wonder if it's because it's a 4x2? I snapped these pics for you so you can see what my angle is. I have the procomp 6" lift, but I'm 4x4.
from the side

from the front

These pics are in my gallery as well if they don't display properly you can see them there.
much better angle than mine. ill get some side shots of my balljoint when i get home and show ya. then you can determine if i would be safe adding that 2" spacer.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Here is something you might try. (If you have a floor jack and a fairly flat & level slab of concrete)

Measure the height from the ground to the top of your wheel well, then put the floor jack under your front crossmember and jack the truck up until you've increased the distance of that measurement by 2". Then examine the angle on your ball joint because (in theory) that is where it will be when the truck is at rest with the additional spacer.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Here is something you might try. (If you have a floor jack and a fairly flat & level slab of concrete)

Measure the height from the ground to the top of your wheel well, then put the floor jack under your front crossmember and jack the truck up until you've increased the distance of that measurement by 2". Then examine the angle on your ball joint because (in theory) that is where it will be when the truck is at rest with the additional spacer.
cuisi, i did it. take a look at the pic. is that a pretty extreme angle? would you do the spacer?
all iam trying to accompolish is some 20x10 wheels with 4.5"s of backspace. with 37x13.50" tires. this is on a 2wd with a 6" susp and 3" body. the spacer is what i was gunna try and go for to give me the extra clearance just incase i cant clear the 37's. what you think, can i clear them as i sit without the spacer?

Old 05-25-2007, 09:27 PM
That looks pretty severe from this angle. I don't think I'd put the additional spacer on with what I see here. Consider that this would be your ride height, you'd still need addtional travel for dropout (potholes, uneven surfaces, etc.). How does it look from the front or back?

I think it's fine as it sits now, since you are looking at the lower end of travel. Your A-arm probably won't see this angle very often in daily driving.

I've heard that even with the same lift the 4x2's sit a little lower than the 4x4's. I suppose that makes sense since their stock ride height differs.

As far as fitting those 37's, it would be niced to see the whole truck. You might try going to a rim with 5.5" to 6" of backspacing. (Check your clearance to spindle and vacuum/brake lines of course) instead of 4.5". That would put the tire farther into the wheel well and generally help it clear your fenders in full turn (provided you don't rub frame). Beyond that, your only other recourse would be a bigger lift kit.

Last edited by Cuisi; 05-25-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:58 PM
That looks pretty severe from this angle. I don't think I'd put the additional spacer on with what I see here. Consider that this would be your ride height, you'd still need addtional travel for dropout (potholes, uneven surfaces, etc.). How does it look from the front or back?

I think it's fine as it sits now, since you are looking at the lower end of travel. Your A-arm probably won't see this angle very often in daily driving.

I've heard that even with the same lift the 4x2's sit a little lower than the 4x4's. I suppose that makes sense since their stock ride height differs.

As far as fitting those 37's, it would be niced to see the whole truck. You might try going to a rim with 5.5" to 6" of backspacing. (Check your clearance to spindle and vacuum/brake lines of course) instead of 4.5". That would put the tire farther into the wheel well and generally help it clear your fenders in full turn (provided you don't rub frame). Beyond that, your only other recourse would be a bigger lift kit.
yea, i wasnt about to put that spacer on and put that balljoint in that much of an angle. its pretty sever from the side. as far as the wheels go, i have already bought them, they are 20x10 w/ 4.5"s of backspace. iam just debating on what size tire to go with. i think the 35s i got on right now are too small. check out the truck below. the pics of the tires are at full lock right now. iam currently running 17x9 wheels with 4.5"s of backspace. and i have 0 rubbing, i didnt even rub with just the 6" lift at full lock.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Old 05-25-2007, 10:02 PM
let me know if you need better pics, like of the wheel well and tires.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:09 PM
Aww hell, you have loads of clearance there. (As you have 35x12.5 now) 37's are only 1 inch more in radius, and going from 12.5 to 13.5 will be 1/2 an inch more on the front and back side. But then I have only pics, you can walk up to it and make a first hand assesment. What do you think?

Old 05-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Oh and I almost forgot, as for the original topic of this post... stacking spacers is bad... (Mr. Mackey voice)mmmkay?

Old 05-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Aww hell, you have loads of clearance there. (As you have 35x12.5 now) 37's are only 1 inch more in radius, and going from 12.5 to 13.5 will be 1/2 an inch more on the front and back side. But then I have only pics, you can walk up to it and make a first hand assesment. What do you think?
yes i have 35x12.50 BFG's. from first hand, i think i can def fit them. i just dont want to spend like 1500$ on tires and they rub like hell. but i dont think it will rub, a little trimming im sure would do the trick if they did. would you go for it? i wonder if these tire shops, like dicount tire, where iam getting the tires, will let you try them on and check for clearance before buying. u have any exprieience with that?

i have seen a couple of 2wd trucks fitting 37's, but then again i dont know there wheel specs. check out these trucks below. the first one has same lift setup as me, 6 susp & 3 body and iam pretty sure he is running a low backspace on the wheels cuz they stick out pretty far., and the second one has a fabtech with spacer on the front, looks like those wheels stick more into the fenders which would clear them easier iam sure. both are clearing 37's though regardless.

http://jstarmotors.com/details.html?VID=1-4l1177566321

http://www.trucktoyzperformance.com/...p?imageid=3902

Quick Reply: Is stacking spacers really that bad?