Bilstein instill problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bilstein instill problems

I just bought four new bilstein shock for my truck and I have to say that was the best money I ever spent on my truck. My problem is that I cant seem to get the fronts on properly. They come with two rubber bumpers, two washers and a nut for the top. The problem is I cant get the top nut on with the washer and rubber. I had to put the stock rubber back on so I could drive the truck home. Has anyone put bilstein on their trucks and had this problem or am I just unlucky.

Thanks

Old 03-30-2007, 07:17 PM
You need to push up on the shock as hard as you can with one hand and push down on the top washer as hard as you can with the other hand and just try to get a thread started and tighten it down. It's a pain but it's doable just have to muscle up.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:28 PM
I put a jack under the arm and jacked it up and it still would not compress enough. Im going to try something else though.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:10 PM
You need to push up on the solid part of the shock, not the part that compresses.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:34 AM
BSL
when I replaced the shocks on my '97 the rubbers were too big, I just put them in a vice for a couple hours then slipped them on and started the nut, waited for about an hour for the rubber to decompress and then tightened it down, may not work with yours, but thats what I did

Old 04-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Had the same problem when I put my on my Bilsteins to replace the stock OEM shocks on my old 2000 f150 4x4. These guys have the right idea. It is do-able but it is not easy. I think the vice idea is great. I absolutely agree the Bilsteins are well worth the extra cash. What a huge difference. Just try to compress the rubber fitting as much as you can, I think it's only on the front ones. I don't remember having this issue with the rears.

Good luck. You're doing it right, it's just a PITA...

Old 04-02-2007, 05:52 PM
What kind of Bilstein shocks (part #) and how much were they if you don't mind me asking? ONce I put a leveling kit on my truck I would really like to upgrade the shocks and I have some chevy friends (with one nice 2500 that came stock with Bilsteins) and they love them. From what I hear they are the best...and thats the only thing that goes on my truck
~Phil

Trending Topics

Old 04-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by zambonimaxx
What kind of Bilstein shocks (part #) and how much were they if you don't mind me asking? ONce I put a leveling kit on my truck I would really like to upgrade the shocks and I have some chevy friends (with one nice 2500 that came stock with Bilsteins) and they love them. From what I hear they are the best...and thats the only thing that goes on my truck
~Phil
I am not sure of the part # but they are the replacement shock for all 97-03 f150s I'm pretty sure, at least 4x4 they are. I bought them off of Ebay, cheapest I found for all 4, $249 delivered. $230 for the set, $19 shipping. You might be able to find them cheaper, but not by much. Bilsteins are worth the money I think, especially if you 4x4 and only have a body lift.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:17 PM
For what ever reason today when I tried to put the rubber on it went on like a charm. I just pulled down on the washer and the nut went right on. I guess ridding around for a week with it mashed it down enough. I got the shocks through summit racing for $310 shipped to my door. I called in because I could not figure out the difference between some of the shock. Goes to find out that some of them go to the screws (which where more expensive) so I would call to make sure you get the right ones.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...653+115+400558.

Quick Reply: Bilstein instill problems