Popping Noise When Turning

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popping Noise When Turning

I have a popping noise in the front end while i am backing and turning at the same time. it happens some times when i am pulling forward and turning as well. I can't tell where it is comming from. I have a 03 screw fx4. any ideas??????? It's not tires rubbing.

Last edited by doubletap4311; 03-25-2007 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by doubletap4311
I have a popping noise in the front end while i am backing and turning at the same time. it happens some times when i am pulling forward and turning as well. I can't tell where it is comming from. I have a 03 screw fx4. any ideas??????? It's not tires rubbing.
bump

Old 03-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Hubs locked?

Old 03-26-2007, 07:54 AM
Doubletap this just a guess but I had the same problem; it drove me nuts for about a week! Finally figured out it was the alignment cams moving when I turned and while backing up with the wheel cranked. The alignment shop did not get the cams\bolts tight enough and swore there was something wrong with my lift (brought it back three times). My buddy and I used red loctite and tightened them up; no more popping noise!

Old 03-26-2007, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=Tripyn69]Doubletap this just a guess but I had the same problem; it drove me nuts for about a week! Finally figured out it was the alignment cams moving when I turned and while backing up with the wheel cranked. The alignment shop did not get the cams\bolts tight enough and swore there was something wrong with my lift (brought it back three times). My buddy and I used red loctite and tightened them up; no more popping noise

I checked and made sure all was tight. Thanks anyway. P.S. I have a fx4, auto locking hubs

Old 03-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Possible cv joints..what angle are they...

Old 03-27-2007, 09:42 PM
check your tie rod ends.

Trending Topics

Old 03-28-2007, 08:42 AM
I had the same problem this past weekend, took my truck to a guy in town, and he couldn't figure out what is was b/c it would happen while he was driving it. Have you had any luck finding out what it is yet?

Old 03-28-2007, 08:59 AM
Tie rods, check them or have them checked. When checking, there should be NO internal movement, it should be able to twist but not anything else. Eliminate this part as a suspect, could be the CV or ball joint too. Don't be surprised if you're stabilizer bar end links are going or gone too.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:22 PM
got it fixed. i took it to a shop and they stated it was the left drivers side front axle shaft. they replaced it but it still popped. then he tightened all of the cross members and no more popping. it was popping from the frame and emitting to the very front of the truck. my advise is to tighten all up before replacing anything. this was the third shop i went to including a ford dealership.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by doubletap4311
got it fixed. i took it to a shop and they stated it was the left drivers side front axle shaft. they replaced it but it still popped. then he tightened all of the cross members and no more popping. it was popping from the frame and emitting to the very front of the truck. my advise is to tighten all up before replacing anything. this was the third shop i went to including a ford dealership.
It took me a while to find it too, almost short of ripping the whole lift out. That is what the shop was recommending, go over every bolt or replace the lift because it is not square. I called bulls*hit!!! When I finally did see the problem I noticed that threads were still showing on the inside of the cam bolt and it was not cranked down tight. It took a BIG wrench to get it tight (calls for a lot less torque then we used) but that was the end of it. With red loctite on there it wont be loosening up any time soon!

Quick Reply: Popping Noise When Turning