Quick question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Quick question

Hello, i'm new to the forums and i have a quick ?. I know that y'all are prob tires of leveling kit ?s but help a fellow f150-er out!! I need some advice on a leveling kit for a 2005 fx4 supercrew. 2 or 2 1/2? I am gonna add some rims and such, but cash flow is a little slow right now. Thanks alot!!!

Old 01-22-2007, 07:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd suggest the Autospring kit. Either 2 or 2.5 should be fine.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:02 AM
I have a 2004 FX4 and went with a 2'' kit...It was perfect, well a little too perfect, now the truck is sitting LEVEL all the time, so when I put the 4-Wheeler in the Box, I'm blinding all oncomming traffic...So I ordered a extra springs for the back. I like to have at leat 1 inch more lif in the back...But if you want a perfectly level truck, go with the 2", I've heard people go with the 2.5" kit and saying it was a little too much....But hey maybe that will work better for you, From my experience on my truck the 2" did the job.
By the way, mine is a Auto Spring Corp model from E-BAY

Old 01-22-2007, 08:43 AM
auo spring 2" has my vote....

Old 01-22-2007, 10:10 AM
Good deal!! Thanks alot! I was wondering if a 2 1/2 would be a little to much, and the autospring was what i was looking at in eveyones sig. So it looks like that will be on the ordering agenda very soon!!!

Old 01-22-2007, 10:34 AM
I got the 2.5 Autospring and it was easy to install. Some people think that it might sit just a little higher in the front now, but I like it just fine. I plan on getting an add a leaf anyways so it doesn't matter either way. Anyways, heres the link to the AS site if your interested.
http://www.autospringcorp.com/produc...expedition.htm

Old 01-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Wink

I think the 4X4s sit a little closer to level from the factory than the 4X2s do. The guys who are saying 2" is all they needed all appear to be FX4 owners. I have a 4X2 XLT, and it apparently had a lot of rake from the factory, because I installed the Autospring 2.5" and the rear of my truck is still 5/8" higher than the front.

Measure the highest point of your wheel well from the ground on the front and rear. If it is 2" higher in the rear, and you want to sit level, then get the 2". If the difference is greater, get the 2.5".

Either way, order it from eBay ($93) and make sure you get the ones that are offset. The offset keeps the upper control arm from coming into contact with the coil spring after installation.

Last edited by dot dot; 01-22-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Oh ok. Do the autospring ones on ebay have the offset?

Old 01-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Today I went by the local 4 wheel parts to ask their opinion on me either getting an add a leaf or maybe some how getting a block to make up the difference since adding the AS. Like I posted earlier, it really isn't that noticeable, if there is any difference in height, and I am fine with the way it looks right now. Anyways, he sold me a Pro Comp shim kit #52700 for 32.00 and told me this was the best route to go. Has anyone ever used these?

Old 01-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Also, on installation, I know I do one side at a time. But where exactly do I put the 2 c-clamps on each spring, before I take the u bolts out? Will just a couple of inches on each side of the u bolts do?

Old 01-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Talking

Oh ok. Do the autospring ones on ebay have the offset?
Yes, mx57, they do. In fact, here is the URL for the eBay page where you can buy them:

This is the 2.5":

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...spagenameZWDVW

And here is the 2":

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...spagenameZWDVW

And both have the offset. If you read the description towards the bottom of the eBay page, you'll see:

Our leveling kit includes three steel 1/4" thick gussets welded in. These gussets extend to the outer edge of the spacers and prevent the top and bottom rings from bending with age and use. This is our re-designed offset version. NO OTHER leveling kit manufacturer offers this. The 1/4" offset keeps the upper control arm from rubbing on the coil spring during full upward deflection ( tires off the ground ). Go to the Ford owners forum F-150online.com to find out more. NOTE** WITHOUT THIS OFFSET YOU RISK DAMAGING YOUR UPPER CONTROL ARMS AND COIL SPRINGS. THE OFFSET DOES NOT IN ANY WAY EFFECT THE HANDLING CHARACTERISTICS OR FACTORY RIDE QUALITY**

Old 01-22-2007, 11:33 PM
Yeah i was looking at those, i will end up buying some before the auctions end. Are these things hard to install or should i have a ford dealer do it for me?

Old 01-23-2007, 02:17 AM
Cool

The autosprings sold on eBay are new, there is no auction, just place your order when you're ready. Mine took about a week to get to my home.

As for the installation, it is funny you should ask. Here's a detailed description of my experience:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=268730

The answer to your question is: no. It is not that difficult provided you have the right tools. Also, please read not only my post but the other readers' responses. Some of them made some suggestions that would have made my install easier.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Thabks for that, it will really help!! Gonna hit the buy it now button tomorrow! I'll let everyone know how it goes!! And some pics of course, even though it looks like every other stock fx4 out there...... but only until i get ahold of some cash!!!!

Quick Reply: Quick question