lowered 03 bump stop Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
lowered 03 bump stop Help!

Well i Just put in some 2" belltech shackles which everyone knows only give you an effective drop of 1.5"

and heres my question. I put in lightning bumpstops, the yellow round ones, and the axle it almost going to touch the bump stops. Thats not what concerns me too much, what concerns me is this:
Does anyone know if there is adjustment in the bump stop to allow me to recenter it over the axle? Right now its sitting about half of the stop is over the axle, and the other half is past the front of the axle.
Im afraid that when axle depresses, that it will more or less push the bump stop forward over the axle, and just bottom out on the frame.

So is there adjustments that can be made either on the frame, or on the bumpstop, so i can slide it back so its centered again?

Sorry i do not have pictures at this time.
-Patrick

Old 11-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Global Moderator &

Or if anyone knows if its safe for me to install the shackle backward so i can utilize the second from top hole. I was told originally i could from the guy i bought them from, but it didnt have enough clearance to do that.
-Patrick

Old 11-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Global Moderator &

Even tho i got no replies i got something that will work for the time being. I pulled the bumpstop loose to see if there was a slot in the frame for alignment, there isnt so i had to think of something else. I then thought well maybe i can shim it. So i found a huge washer left over from my apartment complex putting in new parking lot lights. Its about 1 1/4" across and maybe 16th of an inch think. Cut it in half across the diameter. Stuck the half moon of the washer in as a shim. Worked very well, and the bump stop is pointed right at the top of the axle, even tho the top is still off some. But im alot happier with it, and hadnt gotten a chance to drive it yet to see how it is.

Im sure eventually ill put my truck on a lift at school and cut that hole into a slot, but this works for the time being, but i definetly needed something that will work now, since im about to head back to dallas for thanksgiving.
-Patrick

Old 11-24-2006, 03:17 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
i'm gonna do the same rear drop (i installed SVT Lightning springs up front that dropped the front about an inch) thanks for the alert on the misallignment of the bump stops.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Global Moderator &

If you use a 2" hanger and 2" shackle you may have different results. I have 3" hanger and 1.5" shackles.

And the bump stop was never an issue when i was running hanger alone, b.c it wasnt close enough, but now im sitting with at most about 1/8th inch of clearance between axle and bumpstop.
-Patrick

Old 12-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My buddy had a problem with the stops on his s-10 frame. He took his out ground it flat, reinstalled it, cut open a trailer tire made four frame wide strips glued two together and zip tied them to both side of his axel. He then had a hard workin low profile bump stop. worked well for him not sure how alike the rear of and f150 and an s-10 are though because has frame had pretty big stops.
if you can get a picture of what you are talking about I will let him look at it, he is pretty good with the whole low rider thing. He has been dealing with his truck for about 6 years now.

Last edited by SCREWKR; 12-06-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:03 AM
Global Moderator &

yah thats where im at now. I put the stock shims back in (since those pics), and im getting some vibes, so now im on a quest to find cheap or free 3* or 4* shims
-Patrick

Quick Reply: lowered 03 bump stop Help!