Newbie fishing for opinions, to lift or not to lift. That is the question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 05:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie fishing for opinions, to lift or not to lift. That is the question

Hey there fellas (and ladies)...

Here goes. I have a 2000 lariet ext. cab, 4x4. I have the following dilema. Should I put a 3" PA body lift on my truck, or just crank the torsion bars and stuff bigger tires on it?

I can get tires and rims through family at wholesale. If I do put a 3" PA Body Lift on it, I would be doing it myself (with the help of a couple of buddies) but it would a first time for everyone. I'm not paying close to $1K to have a $150-$200 lift installed.

Alternatively, if I just try to crank the torsion bars to save time and money, should I use the torsion keys or go without? What else should I do to smooth out the ride a little more on the front end if I go this route?

This is an everyday truck and would like to do the occasional off road (but not enough to warrant a suspension lift). I just want it to look good, sit higher than stock 4x4s, and can't really dump a lot of money into it. I don't want to have to change the gears at all if I do go with a body lift and bigger tires and I would still need the truck to tow a camper or pontoon, but nothing over 3000 lbs. So based the use of the truck, what would you do? Can you really see enough of a difference with a 3" body lift running 33s as opposed to cranking up the torsion bars and running 33s, which I'm pretty I can sure fit (but not sure if I can get 12.5s without rubbing or should I be safe and go 11.5s?)

Thanks in advance

Old 09-30-2006, 09:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, you will be able to tell a big difference with a 3 inch body lift. Body lifts are not that hard to install, they just take a lot of time. That's why installation costs are so high at shops. However, you can fit a 33x12.50 on a 10 inch wide wheel by trimming a little plastic off the front bumper's lower valance. You can also crank up the torsion bars to level the truck if you want. I wouldn't use aftermarket keys however. They just allow you to put way to much preload on the torsion bars which will hurt your ride quality and put your CV joints and ball joints at severe angles that will lead to premature wear.

Quick Reply: Newbie fishing for opinions, to lift or not to lift. That is the question