F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Suspension (https://www.f150online.com/forums/suspension-28/)
-   -   FX4 shock, can you put them on 2wd? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/suspension/254290-fx4-shock-can-you-put-them-2wd.html)

Patman 10-02-2006 04:41 PM

remember if you adding spacer blocks in the rear you probably are gonna need the 4x4 or equivelent of longer u bolts. Unless they made the 04+ ubolts all the same length...
-Patrick

jspeers89 10-03-2006 01:47 AM

Yamon. Here is the question that I have. Installing the fx4 shocks gives you 2.5 inches in the front. In my case that would just about level out my 4x2. Now it would make sense to install the back fx4 shocks to compliment the front. Do you have to install the block for the back fx4 spring (that would make me unlevel once again) or can you just do the fx4 spring. Thanks and trying to figure out what i"m going to do as well.

spinnintires 10-03-2006 10:18 AM

Thank you YaMon. I was hoping to get some reply from you sometime. That helps a lot for me. I am instead installing the 2.5" AS tonight instead of the coilovers because i got it for about the same price, and since i did not want to deal with doing the back shocks and everything i stuck with this. I am then doing a 2" stock 4x4 block in the back of my 4x2 to raise me up about 2.5 up front and 2 in rear. I am then adding a 6" suspension lift and 35x12.5 bg good mud t/a. I will add pictures tomarrow of before and after on my AS 2.5" and then again in a month or so after my suspension lift. I Just need to find some money first, yes i said 'find' hopefully.:help:

YaMon 10-03-2006 11:05 AM

THere are no springs to replace in the back...

Originally Posted by jspeers89
Yamon. Here is the question that I have. Installing the fx4 shocks gives you 2.5 inches in the front. In my case that would just about level out my 4x2. Now it would make sense to install the back fx4 shocks to compliment the front. Do you have to install the block for the back fx4 spring (that would make me unlevel once again) or can you just do the fx4 spring. Thanks and trying to figure out what i"m going to do as well.

If you want the back raised to look like a stock Ford F150 4x4, you will need to install a pair of 2" blocks, longer u-bolts, and a pair of FX4 shocks. MAKE SURE that when you buy the rear blocks that you get the one's for the 04-06. They have 2 holes vs. 1. You can get away with the shocks in the 4x2, but you might hear a "clunk" at full extension. So if you are thinking of doing any 4x4ing, change the rear shocks.

It's all a matter of preference. I like mine a have a slight amount of rake to it. After I changed out the front, the body was perfectly level, but......the distance from the bottom lip of the fender in the front was more than the distance in the back and visually.....it looked like the back was squatting a bit. That was the reason I put in the shortened shackle, it only gave me another inch, but looked much better.

Currently I have a 1.5" block that I made, in addition to the shackle. I may take that out and buy a 2-3" body lift and then all will be just perfect....along with the 33 or 35 toyo mud's.

YaMon 10-03-2006 11:09 AM

Ya shoulda bought mine......

Originally Posted by spinnintires
Thank you YaMon. I was hoping to get some reply from you sometime. That helps a lot for me. I am instead installing the 2.5" AS tonight instead of the coilovers because i got it for about the same price, and since i did not want to deal with doing the back shocks and everything i stuck with this. I am then doing a 2" stock 4x4 block in the back of my 4x2 to raise me up about 2.5 up front and 2 in rear. I am then adding a 6" suspension lift and 35x12.5 bg good mud t/a. I will add pictures tomarrow of before and after on my AS 2.5" and then again in a month or so after my suspension lift. I Just need to find some money first, yes i said 'find' hopefully.:help:

I still have them and just listed them on e-bay. The ones I have are the billet aluminum ones. I "personally" prefer these, I come from a metal fabrication background and think that due to the location and the fact that they are welded steel, it is just a matter of time before they start rusting.

Now...something you may not have thought about and I still can't answer why it is so. When you install the spacer, it seems that the upper control arm is being stressed and possibly touches the spring. When I installed the front coilovers, they were not even close. Drumdog asked me to send some pics, been busy and as soon as I finish this post, I am going to go outside and take the pic.

spinnintires 10-03-2006 02:54 PM

How much are you asking for the block? and what size is the block? I thought of the stress and am doing the install tonight. I am hoping that it wont be a problem and am taking it in for an alignment tomarrow, but im worried it wont work and if thats the case im stuck with a 2.5" AS level and will need to sell it and get some coilovers.

Patman 10-03-2006 04:50 PM

Dont take it to Goodyear to get it aligned, see my experience here. If they gonna low ball me and not actually align my truck, and fucc up my tires then i have no problem lowballing them and telling everyone about my poor experience.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=255892

-Patrick

jspeers89 10-04-2006 01:46 AM

Yamon. I think I worded my last question wrong. I do not want the look of the 4x4, I'm just looking for the level look but without the problems of leveling kits. Can I install the back fx4 shocks without the 2" block is my question or does the back fx4 shock have to have the 2" block to be installed. Thanks again for your time and answers in this ohh so beaten to death topic.

YaMon 10-04-2006 10:52 PM

Ok......

Originally Posted by jspeers89
Yamon. I think I worded my last question wrong. I do not want the look of the 4x4, I'm just looking for the level look but without the problems of leveling kits. Can I install the back fx4 shocks without the 2" block is my question or does the back fx4 shock have to have the 2" block to be installed. Thanks again for your time and answers in this ohh so beaten to death topic.

You can get away with installing the rear shock from a FX4 on the back of a 4x2 without the 2" block without any problems. I had it that way for awhile and it did not have any adverse effects. However, if you install 2" blocks, you should install the shocks from the FX4.

If you are looking for the level look for a 4x2, all you need to do is install either the front coilovers from the FX4 or any 2" lift spacers. You do not have to touch the back end. The difference in hight of a stock 4x2 front to rear is 34" vs. 37" = 3" difference ( this is the bottom lip to floor measurement).

Hope that helps.

YaMon 10-04-2006 10:57 PM

I wasn't selling the rear block, just the front spacer.

How much are you asking for the block? and what size is the block? I thought of the stress and am doing the install tonight. I am hoping that it wont be a problem and am taking it in for an alignment tomarrow, but im worried it wont work and if thats the case im stuck with a 2.5" AS level and will need to sell it and get some coilovers.

I made my rear block using billet aluminum. They had to be drilled out to accomodate the 2 bolt heads. It is easy to manufacture and not very expensive. You just have to have the time and patience to make them and than find the correct length U-Bolts to match. BTW - Once you go past the 2" height, it gets very tricky and I would not advise that you make them. They should be angled slightly forward to prevent axle wrap on the blocks higher than 2".

Trucker Ed 10-08-2006 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by YaMon
I still have them and just listed them on e-bay. The ones I have are the billet aluminum ones. I "personally" prefer these, I come from a metal fabrication background and think that due to the location and the fact that they are welded steel, it is just a matter of time before they start rusting.

Now...something you may not have thought about and I still can't answer why it is so. When you install the spacer, it seems that the upper control arm is being stressed and possibly touches the spring. When I installed the front coilovers, they were not even close. Drumdog asked me to send some pics, been busy and as soon as I finish this post, I am going to go outside and take the pic.

Could you post those pics I would like to see how this setup looks, Thanks

spinnintires 10-08-2006 10:48 PM

Thank you YaMon, but instead i am going with an add-a-leaf in the rear and a 6" fabtech lift, i was going to do the 2" blocks, but it wouldnt leave me level, so im doing leafs instead. Thank you though for the info!

labman1014 10-08-2006 11:08 PM

Thank you YaMon, but instead i am going with an add-a-leaf in the rear and a 6" fabtech lift, i was going to do the 2" blocks, but it wouldnt leave me level, so im doing leafs instead. Thank you though for the info!

what kind of add a leaf are you going with and how much lift will it give you. i have found pro comp that gives 1.5" for only $99 plus shipping.

spinnintires 10-08-2006 11:48 PM

I think i am doing a 2 or 3" add-a-leaf. I am not sure the brand yet, but thats my decision so far. If you are just going to do a 2 or 2.5" leveling kit i would do the 1.5" add-a-leaf, and your truck would look great! You would gain aroung 2" or so, still have a little rake incase you need to tow something or carry a heavy payload and yet not be spending a crazy amount of time and money on the lift. Its all up to you, but thats my choice, the only reason i am doing a 3" leaf is i am doing the 6" suspension kit and since my truck is dead level now i need 3" in the back to level out my truck since the lift is 6" up front and only 4 in back. This way i am around .5-1" higher in rear, so its perfect when i tow my boat!

Trucker Ed 10-23-2006 08:16 PM

YaMon how much trouble was it to get the FX4 fronts to fit (what did you have to take loose) ?