Wandell...Could use a little help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wandell...Could use a little help

Sorry to bother you Wandell. I just recently did some mods on my truck. Posted a long thread in the tires and wheels forum with pictures. In one of the pictures I expressed some concern with the tire rubbing. Now having driven on it for almost a month, here is what I have found. Whenever I crank the wheel at full turn it rubs. The worst rub though comes any time I have to turn into a hill. For example a driveway that has an incline. If I'm making a right turn, its the right wheel that rubs pretty noticeably. I can hear quite a bit of noise and feel it. So, the reason I'm posting in this forum is because I was wondering if I should crank the torsion bars a bit more or is it going to matter. They have been cranked about 3/4" to 1". Would additional crank help or not really? Or is there a better alternative? Or is this really not a big deal as long as the noise doesn't bother me? And if I did crank the bars a slight bit more, would I need to go back and get another new alignment? Thanks for all your help. Here's a pic of the problem area

Old 09-16-2006, 12:09 PM
it looks like your just rubbing the plastic if this is the case just trim it and crank up the front another inch and u should be good to go.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. You could crank up the torsion bars a little more. This will require you to get another alignment. You can also drill a couple of holes through that plastic, run a ziptie through them and pull the plastic back a little. But where it's rubbing on the wheelwell, it's not hurting anything.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:50 PM

Thanks

Thanks for your quick responses. Glad to know I'm not hurting anything. I might take it back over to Planet Pickup and have them crank it a little more and realign. Last question before I do, cranking it up more is still going to keep it within the recommended range right? Its not going to put excessive strain on the cv joint is it? Thanks again guys. I really appreciate all your help.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Every truck is slightly different. On some, you can crank the torsion bars up all the way without putting the CV joints at too severe of an angle. I'd ask the tech at your shop to take a look at them. I wish someone knew what the safe angle limit is.