Greasing the Chasis

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greasing the Chasis

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway...
For some reason, I have been under the assumption that most newer vehicles have sealed chasis/steering/suspension components that no longer require greasing. I have a 2000 F150 XLT, and I just happened to see that my Chilton's manual has a section describing how to lube the chasis. Now this manual covers 1997-2003 F150s, so does anyone happen to know if the chasis on a 2000 requires greasing?

Thanks.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:32 AM
i believe last time i checked on my 2000 there was one on the steering and maybe one somewhere else. on my old balljoints i used a needle adapter and put grease in them. now i have new moog ones with the grease zerks

Old 03-31-2006, 12:55 PM
SM
My '01 Screw came with exactly two grease fittings, one at each end of the idler arm. Everything else was supposedly "sealed" and "permanently lubed". With my Moog replacement upper ball joints, I now have two additional fittings.

Old 03-31-2006, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by SM
My '01 Screw came with exactly two grease fittings, one at each end of the idler arm.
Same here.

Old 04-01-2006, 07:57 AM
Again same, and if I remember, there were 2 places on the steering to be greased. Keep a close watch on the tie rods and when they are going, replace with Moog. Also, the ball joints will go soon so inspect and replace with Moog. Anything with grease fittings. I had both lower ball joints go in the first 3 years and the tie rods from only the driver side go for now, keep checking the passenger side all the time because I don't trust em.

Really that's it, none even on the driveshaft u joints or nothing. Remember when the cars/ trucks had nothing but grease fittings and would run forever......... engines cooked and the body rusted out but the suspension stayed in tact..........hummmmm. Don't tell me that because the engines leaked so much oil that it undercoated the rest of the car.

Quick Reply: Greasing the Chasis