Shakes sometimes????

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shakes sometimes????

I have asked this question before but still did not get a solution. Here's a little history; I have a 04 Screw FX4 that I bought with 11,000 miles, bone stock, no problems. I put a 2.5" autospring and 35" BFG Muds on the 18" FX4 rims, one of the tires was out of round and shook at 58-60 MPH, I had it road forced and they said it was bad, so BFG sent me a new one. I had it balanced and the truck seemed to be fine, then one day about one month ago (2000 miles after I put the new tire on) I experienced a full front end shake that started at about 20mph until 45mph and lasted about 5 minutes, with no apparent reason. It went away after that and didn't return until 2 weeks ago when the same thing happened. I had purchased a 4" Rancho lift with the 9000's 2 weeks ago so I figured I'd have that put on and take the autospring off because that might be the problem. So I had the Rancho put on, got a new alignment and all seemed fine until 2 days ago when the damn shaking started again the same as before with no apparent reason and then stopped within 5 minutes. I brought the truck in that day to a tire shop to have the front tires rebalanced, so I firgured the problem was gone until today when it started to shake again. I have got to fix this problem before it drives me crazy. I have concluded it wasn't the autospring or the rancho lift that is causing the problem due to the previous history.

Do you think it is a front end problem or is it one of the tires? I have to think it is a tire issue because that seems to be the common denominator, but obviously it is not a balance issue because it only shakes sometimes.

Help please.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:06 PM
shakes sometimes

i have a 04 supercrew,it also has a shake that i cannot figure out.it doesnt happen all the time ,and it drives me crazy.its been back to the dealer and the last time they replaced the whole driveshaft assy. suppose to be a new style.i also installed a set of groundforce lowering shackles with the supplied 2.5 degree shims it appears to me that the pinion still needs to be raised,to aprox 4 degrees.following instructions from several suspension companies,i have removed the shims,no change,i have taken the spacer out from above the carrier bearing,no change.only thing left to do is to put the stock shackles back on to see if it quits,if not i dont know what else to do i also cannot tell where the vibration starts,but it will shake the entire truck,sometimes bad enough to make the windshield wipers bounce on the windshield.ford also has changed the driveshaft on the 06 supercrews to a one piece large dia.aprox 5 inch aluminum driveshaft instead of the puny aprox 3 inch dia.two piece shaft that mine has,they appearantly knew there was a problem!!!! dont know if i can switch to the aluminum shaft though,as the crossmember is notched now where my carrier bearing is.any ideas would be welcome.thanks.

Old 04-08-2006, 07:20 PM
[url]http://www.f150online.com/galleries/mygallery.cfm?gnum=7398[/url]

Originally Posted by tjh70
i have a 04 supercrew,it also has a shake that i cannot figure out.it doesnt happen all the time ,and it drives me crazy.its been back to the dealer and the last time they replaced the whole driveshaft assy. suppose to be a new style.i also installed a set of groundforce lowering shackles with the supplied 2.5 degree shims it appears to me that the pinion still needs to be raised,to aprox 4 degrees.following instructions from several suspension companies,i have removed the shims,no change,i have taken the spacer out from above the carrier bearing,no change.only thing left to do is to put the stock shackles back on to see if it quits,if not i dont know what else to do i also cannot tell where the vibration starts,but it will shake the entire truck,sometimes bad enough to make the windshield wipers bounce on the windshield.ford also has changed the driveshaft on the 06 supercrews to a one piece large dia.aprox 5 inch aluminum driveshaft instead of the puny aprox 3 inch dia.two piece shaft that mine has,they appearantly knew there was a problem!!!! dont know if i can switch to the aluminum shaft though,as the crossmember is notched now where my carrier bearing is.any ideas would be welcome.thanks.
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=7398

Old 04-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Let me spoil the hopefull thoughts. I have a 2005 Screw
FX4 at the ford dealership right now with the same problem. But you wanna hear a good one. I fussed about the fact that every time i took it back they gave me a car or minivan. So the peeled the sticker off a 2006 Ext cab for me to drive while mine is in the shop, they have had it for a week so far and they havent figured it out with the ford TSB sheets. Oh yeah the 2006 I just turned 1000 miles on it same vibration problems. I have no luck heh

Old 04-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Hey Guys,

Found the problem! Even though it seem pretty far from where the vibration felt like it was coming from, it seem as though the e-brake on the new body style (04-present F-150) is sometimes sticky. I hardly ever used my e-brake so I didn't even think of it, then again the truck only shook about 4-5 times in the past 5 months, about the same number of times I used that damn brake.

Hope this helps

Old 04-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Not to be rude, but if your truck only shook 4 or 5 times in the last 5 months, it would seem its a little early to say that the e-brake was in fact the problem...
What did you do to fix the e-brake?

Old 04-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Hope that was it for you man I dont wish truck problems on anyone.Good luck Did it fill like a hop or something straped to the tire?

Old 04-13-2006, 08:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Johngs
Not to be rude, but if your truck only shook 4 or 5 times in the last 5 months, it would seem its a little early to say that the e-brake was in fact the problem...
What did you do to fix the e-brake?
I had the same problem. What the dealer did was back off the e-brake a little. It was very tight to begin with. When you pressed the pedal, it only went down a couple of clicks.
If he hadn't of found it, I would have suggested he check the e-brake.
I know it has been the problem on more than one. Don't know why it does it, but since backing mine off a little, I have had no more vibration problems from it and it has been over a year.

Old 04-13-2006, 09:32 AM
Sounds like yall are on to something, good deal

Old 04-14-2006, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by 04sssti
Hey Guys,

Found the problem! Even though it seem pretty far from where the vibration felt like it was coming from, it seem as though the e-brake on the new body style (04-present F-150) is sometimes sticky. I hardly ever used my e-brake so I didn't even think of it, then again the truck only shook about 4-5 times in the past 5 months, about the same number of times I used that damn brake.

Hope this helps

the e brake may be the problem,when it is raining or wet out it doesnt seem to do it,and also i took my truck in a while back as the e brake cable on the passenger side had actually come off of the lever that comes out of the backing plate.i have also noticed a squeeking sound coming from what i believe is the rear brakes , noticeable now that i have the windows down,and its only heard when the truck is barely rolling ,starting and stopping. it goes back in next thursday, i'll let you guys know how it goes

Old 04-17-2006, 09:43 PM
shakes sometimes

the e brake may be the problem,when it is raining or wet out it doesnt seem to do it,and also i took my truck in a while back as the e brake cable on the passenger side had actually come off of the lever that comes out of the backing plate.i have also noticed a squeeking sound coming from what i believe is the rear brakes , noticeable now that i have the windows down,and its only heard when the truck is barely rolling ,starting and stopping. it goes back in next thursday, i'll let you guys know how it goes
well it finally got the best of me, i jacked up the rear end and spun the wheels with the truck in neutral and e brake off and while the passenger side was fine,the driver side i could barely even turn the wheel!!!!! i finally got the rotor off and a bunch of brake dust fell out,appears that the e brake was adjusted to far out.the shoes look like crap and the rotor hat is pretty grooved.cant imagine how this has been effecting my mileage.the truck will actually coast now,and so far no vibration. it still goes to the dealer thursday for a look see.stay tuned.4-17-06

Old 05-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Talking shakes sometimes

well it finally got the best of me, i jacked up the rear end and spun the wheels with the truck in neutral and e brake off and while the passenger side was fine,the driver side i could barely even turn the wheel!!!!! i finally got the rotor off and a bunch of brake dust fell out,appears that the e brake was adjusted to far out.the shoes look like crap and the rotor hat is pretty grooved.cant imagine how this has been effecting my mileage.the truck will actually coast now,and so far no vibration. it still goes to the dealer thursday for a look see.stay tuned.4-17-06
5-1-06
well still no vibration from the truck, the e-brake must have been the problem.i still have to take the truck to the dealer as i want them to replace the e-brake shoes and possibly the rotors,we'll see. who would have thought that the e-brake could cause so much trouble!!!!!!

Old 05-13-2006, 01:45 AM
Anyone heard of this happening to the 97-2003 body style? If the e-brake is sticking on my 2001, that would explain a lot of problems.

Old 05-13-2006, 06:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyRutt
Anyone heard of this happening to the 97-2003 body style? If the e-brake is sticking on my 2001, that would explain a lot of problems.
I am sure anything is possible, but I have not heard of or had this happen on the 2 vehicles I had in the 97-03 range. Some of those years had rear drum brakes. My 01 had disk with the similar setup as the 04, but I had no problems.
My first inclination that the e-brake might be the problem on mine was the hot brake smell after it happened, and the fact that the e-brake pedal only went down a little before it was fully engaged. How tight is the e-brake on yours?

Old 05-13-2006, 03:30 PM
The parking brake will definitely cause this shaking. I thought people were delirious they way they would go on and on about their f150 shaking. Then one day I forgot to release the parking brake and after a couple of miles the truck started shaking. Released the parking brake, instant cure! Some people have had trouble with the parking brake sticking when the cable gets corroded.

Quick Reply: Shakes sometimes????