Front end noise.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end noise.

I have a 1999 super cab 4X4 that has developed a "noise" in the front end. It may be coming from the passenger side front wheel. The sound is a wah wah wah wah sound as I go down the road. The sound goes away temporarly when I go over a dip or around a sweeping left turn but returns as I straighten out. Do I have a wheel bearing going out?

Old 02-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Perhaps....could also be a cupped tire.....I had a noise and it was the axle spindle castle nut cap. It was just vibrating causing noise. Bent it out of round so it would fit tighter...bam...noise gone.

Old 02-16-2006, 09:41 PM
Ball Joint

Sounds like your lower ball joints are shot.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:10 PM
It could be the wheel bearing. I just replaced both of mine. One was definately bad and the other was marginal, so replaced both.

But I like the ball joint suggestion. I just replaced all four of mine (80k) and the uppers were in terrible shape. The upper control arm had TRW stamped on it. I have heard stories of low quality TRW parts.

You might want to give the shocks a look too!

If you plan to replace these parts yourself, find an auto parts store that will "match prices" ( i use oreilley) and print out the prices from the advancedautoparts.com website. wheel bearings @ $149.00. Expensive, but not as bad as the $250 quoted by AutoZone.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Front end noise.