Rubbing Sound Right Rear Tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rubbing Sound Right Rear Tire

Noticed about a week ago - - rubbing sound from right rear tire each time I take a right turn. The sound does not occur when driving straight or turning left. Is this the emergency brake rubbing or could it be a bearing going bad?

Any ideas would be helpful.

DN

Old 01-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Do you know what rear diff you have? it could be the limited slip diff making noise.

I think that an axle bearing is a more constant noise/roughness and not limited to turns. then again it could be.

Without hearing it, my first guess would be the diff. When you turn, the spider/side gears allow the rear wheels to turn at different speeds. If you sound is primarily when turning to the right, then i would look at my differential. Maybe an axle too.

Good luck.

Old 01-01-2006, 10:59 AM
What size tires are you runnin DN? I see your truck is new, take it over to Cherokee Ford and make them fix it. I know ford has had some issues in the Explorer and Aviator and Mountaineer with the rear diffs, and there is even a recall replacement. Also, I know the aviator has a vibration is full left lock turn. Had the rack replaced at 6000 miles and now at 14000 miles it vibrating again. Haven't heard the diff whine yet, but its a lease so if it breaks its their problem anyway after warranty

Old 01-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by 98Navi
What size tires are you runnin DN? I see your truck is new, take it over to Cherokee Ford and make them fix it. I know ford has had some issues in the Explorer and Aviator and Mountaineer with the rear diffs, and there is even a recall replacement. Also, I know the aviator has a vibration is full left lock turn. Had the rack replaced at 6000 miles and now at 14000 miles it vibrating again. Haven't heard the diff whine yet, but its a lease so if it breaks its their problem anyway after warranty
Thanks guys. I'm running 265/70R-15s. I'm definitely going to go with a more agressive tread and taller tire after these wear out.

I'll probably take it by the dealership its under warranty. Just hate that this is showing up after only 36k miles. But then I had to have the torque converter replaced and tranny rebuilt at 21k.

[98Navi] I haven't been able to do business with Cherokee Ford, they have not been able to be competitive in sales and service with Northpoint in Roswell. Their service team is very good and the sales manager knows how I do business. I have bought my last 5 vehicles there. The sales manager is about the only one in sales that has been around a while. Like the typical car business the sales team turns over alot.

What part of ATL are you located?

L8r

DN

Old 01-01-2006, 10:15 PM
I am over on the NE side, alpharetta area. I just figured cherokee was closest to you from woodstock. I used to work over at Towne Lake Hills GC some years ago, my uncle owns it. Northpoint Ford is a great dealership, been there several times, although I never bought anything there. Being so much a higher volume dealer lets them finess things much easier with the bottom line. But for warranty work, I'd assume you should be able to get it done there close to home.

Quick Reply: Rubbing Sound Right Rear Tire