Ball Joint hell please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ball Joint hell please help

Ok i have a 98 f150 4x4, looking to replace the upper and lower ball joints both sides. Called Summit to get prices and they are pretty good but heres my issue.

With Moog parts do they come with new bushings? If not, Summit cant tell me which control arm bushing kit to get. Comes down to if you have factory camber cams or not? (no idea what that means)

The upper control arm bushing kit they recommend if without the factory camber cams and its like 20 bucks, but they are guessing if its the right one.

Then they have a bushing kit for the lower control arm, but i wasnt aware i needed that. I knew the uppers would be different parts and the lower ball joints would be the same, am I wrong?

Dont want to special order (of course they dont have them in stock) the wrong stuff.

Old 04-06-2005, 10:47 PM
The factory cams are where the uper control arm bolts go trough the bushings . they arenot ajustable. when you get the truck alligned for the first time the need to put in a concetric bolt and washer . this allows for ajustment. if you are replacing the bushings you will need the kit because to realign the front they have to have some ajustment.

Old 04-06-2005, 11:02 PM
ok so how do i know if i have factory cams? and cant the alignment shop figure it out?

Old 04-07-2005, 05:27 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Moog sell the upper bal joint as a complete upper a-arm assembly. It includes the bushings. If you get this part you won't have to buy bushings. When the ball joint wears out again, you have a life time warranty, so you will also get the bushings for free as they are included. Have you checked your local parts store for prices?

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 04-07-2005, 07:57 PM
JMC,

You are ALWAYS so on-top of things! Thanks.

Curt

Old 04-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Ive checked around and Im a store Mgr for autozone, but everywhere I go is a speciala order for the moog, and the prices are all about the same, 50 for uppers 30 for lowers, but thanks for telling me abou the moog and the bushings saved me 20 bucks.

Old 04-07-2005, 09:34 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Glad I could help.

JMC

Quick Reply: Ball Joint hell please help