- how to allign MOOG Idler arm install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
- how to allign MOOG Idler arm install?

I got the tie-rod letter from ford - went and bent on the steering and got big moves from idler arm so 90 minutes after openening letter a new one was installed.

But - the fomoco part had allignment dibs on it to make it squared before tightening the bolts and the MOOG part has no key dibs on it - smooth steel and oversize bolt lugs so it wont self allign!

I pryed up on the arm assembly to center the top bolt in the arm brackets mounting hole, then centered bottom bolt per overall movement and tightened to 150ft/lb.

PLEASE anyone know how to keep the geometry square using a MOOG replacement? Should I get the arms bracket as high or low as possible? The thing has like .100 S L O P in it!

~Thanks~

Old 09-29-2004, 09:22 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I replaced my Idler Arm last fall and I ordered the Moog item for the 4x4. I brought it home and it didn't look anything like the one on the truck. I went back and looked at the 4x2 version and it was the same as what was on the truck. I don't remember how I lined it up but it bolted right up and has been fine since.

JMC

Old 09-29-2004, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JMC - that's an option for sure, just get the right part before you tourqe it down >doh< I was racing nightfall parked in a bad spot so there may be a OEM part later on, but...

I like the MOOG's oversize stationary pivot on this one and have no complaints since it produced that new truck steering feel at 56K!

I know I need to machine allign the truck again to preserve the tires no matter what it drives like... But any ideas out there on alligning the bracket?

Its either clamping it as far forward or back as I can, the lugs should keep the mounting bracket exactly parallel with the mounting bolts - OR make up a couple collar shims for the bolts so they hold the bracket centered....

Hmnnn. Any thoughts?

Old 09-29-2004, 11:23 AM
JMC

I would just eyeball it and leave it at that.
You could always reference the angle on the Pitman arm and match the Idler arm to that

Here is a pic of what I would use. I removed the ruler that slides through it so I could fit it in the scanner.

JMC

Old 09-29-2004, 11:32 AM
JMC

More info,

I just called my supplier and he looked up what part I used and it was the Moog Pn9739T. It bolted right up with no problem.

JMC

Quick Reply: - how to allign MOOG Idler arm install?