Rougher Ride!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 01:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rougher Ride!!

Ok, before I get started I will start off by saying I understand I own a 4x4 and not a BMW luxury car. I went from a 98 F-150 4x4 to a 02 F-150 4x4 FX4. The ride in the 98 is car-like.......very nice, but beefy. The 02 FX4 on the other hand is very rough....even on a smooth highway. I first assumed it was due to the FX4 off-road package, but have learned the so-called Rancho shocks are not true Rancho shocks. I received this from a earlier post pertaining to FX4 owners beware. I have no clue on the different makes & models. I would like to know what you've done to your FX4? What make & model shock do you like? I'm looking for a smoother highway ride, but also want something that will handle my off-road adventures. I don't do any heavy duty off-roading. My truck is my everyday vehicle and is on the highway 95% of the time. If it makes any difference, I'm probably going to go from the stock 265's to the BFG KO AT 285's. Thank you and I look forward to your input & opinions.

Old 01-15-2004, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure exactly, but here are my thoughts: The newer trucks, or perhaps the FX4's, might have beefier torsion bars than the older trucks. If so, that might explain some of the stiffness. Also, even though they are not true ranchos, they might very well be stiffer than the shocks on your older truck (and the shocks on your 98 might have been shot too). The tires could possibly explain some of the difference too. For all the different tires I've had over the years, I have noticed some variance in the way they make the truck feel on the road.

IMO, a 4X4 truck (being just that...a truck) should ride about as smooth as the surface you're driving on. If you ask much more than that, you will be dissappointed in the off road performance of the suspension.

Quick Reply: Rougher Ride!!