Installing Rancho RSX shocks.. any advice ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Rancho RSX shocks.. any advice ?

Heya'll

Gonna be installing 4 new Rancho RSX shocks on my '99 F-150 XLT 4x4 S-cab this weekend.... anything special I should know before going in ? tip tricks, hints, etc..

Lemme know

Jeff

Old 11-02-2003, 06:03 AM
I put RSX's on my 97 4x4 last year and they work great.

Backs are a no-brainer.

Fronts are easier with two people, one to guide the top post through the eye - as they decompress. Also, when removing front shocks, it is sometimes easier to undo the bottom mounts first and rock the shock back and forth and simply break off the top post. Works if you are having trouble unthreading the top bolt.... this is what I did. And by the way, this is the way most mechanics do it without a torch and you have enough room to rock the shock.

Old 11-02-2003, 11:09 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
After the install, remember to enjoy the ride and report back here with your opinion and preferred setting.

Old 11-03-2003, 01:07 PM
WEll good news, and bad...

the good first...

I got the front shocks on with not too much of a problem.. I got the wife out there to help me compress them down, and zip tie them up... and it went fairly smooth...

the bad news...

I couldn;t for the life of me, get the rear shocks off... the top bolt is at a nearly impossible angle, and even when I could get a socket on it I could only move it about 2 clicks at a time.. but it never seemed to get loose... I was also holding the nut below it, so the whole top part of the shock would not turn.. but it didn't budge... any tips ? or should I just drop the $40 or so to have a garage do it...

as far as ride report...

hard to give a super accurate report with only the front shocks on.. but that being said.. the ride is MUCH MUCH better... I can't wait to get the rears on to see how it rides !

Jeff

Old 11-05-2003, 10:21 AM
I just changed mine last night (4x2). Fronts are a piece of cake. On the rears, you'll need to slip an open end wrenck through the frame and onto the lower nut (it's below the bottom bushing). Then using a deep socket and a ratchet slowly work the top nut off (that's a joke because you can't do it fast). You can only get about 2 clicks at a time on the top. Just be patient. It took me about 1 hr. 15 minutes just to do the rears, including removing the wheels to make the job a little easier.

Quick Reply: Installing Rancho RSX shocks.. any advice ?