6" RCD Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 6" RCD Questions

I've got a 2001 Screw 2wd and am looking at the RCD lift kit but have a few questions, so here goes....
1. Is this kit better than the Fabtech kit?
2. How hard is it to install, I do all my own work on everything else but havent tinkered with suspension yet. Looking at the pictures of the kit it doesnt look to bad.
3. Is there any drilling involved with the bars that extend back to the frame?
4. Can I use my stock wheels for the time being until I can afford new wheels and tires?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 06-19-2001, 09:49 PM
I am currently getting the RCD lift installed on my truck. I went with it over the Fabtech because of the ride quality. I do not plan on offroading extremely hard. The Fabtech has a lot stiffer ride (they replace the upper control arms)... whereas the RCD rides almost like stock (they use drop down brackets and leave the arms alone). I don't know about the installation questions... as I am not installing it myself. I believe you can use stock rims but it might look weird for the time being. But check it out.

------------------
2001 Black/Drk. Graphite Leather F-150 XCab 5.4L, Capt. Chairs, Tow
Getting Installed As We Speak:

- 6" RCD Lift
- Weld Outback 16X8.25 Wheels
- BFG MT 35's
- Billet Grill
- Leather Seats
- LineX Bedliner

Coming Attractions:

- Exhaust (FM or Gibson)
- Tint
- Stereo System

Will Post Pictures When Done!

Old 06-19-2001, 10:07 PM
Lightbulb

hi, I had my 6' RCD susp. put in about a month ago. I love It!!! I still have my stock tires on too! It looks great. I am getting new ones in few days. You just have to take it easy on the turns, caus' now it is kinda top heavy. It rides real nice. A few days ago I added the P.A. 3' body lift kit. That makes a tons of difference on top of the susp. After you are done, I suggest adding the body lift. I didn't install either, so I don't know how hard it is. I dropped quite a bit of cash having offroad motorsports do it here in wichita, ks. They told me it was the hardest body lift they have ever done, since my truck it a 2wd long bed, extended cab. The suspension didn't look to bad though, and it took them about a day and a half to install. If you have any other questions let me know!
Good luck!

------------------
-'99 F-150(Green,ext. cab, 2wd.)
-6' RCD Sus. lift
-3' P.A. body lift
-Rockford Fos.600A4 Amp.
-JL Audio Stealthbox
MORE TO COME!

Old 06-19-2001, 11:52 PM
Every kit has its pros and cons. So I would not necessarily say that RCDs kit is better over Fabtech's or even Rancho's. As for drilling I'm sure there is some minor drilling that needs to be done on the cross member but it won't affect anything. Although there may not be any required as suspension companies try to use exsisting holes.

------------------
2000z71 7-8in Superlift 3/4 ton torsion bars, 3in PA body lift, CST rear dual shock kit w/ Rancho 9000s, 35in BF Muds and tons of other cool mods!

y2kboti

Old 06-19-2001, 11:54 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Beach Cruiser:
The Fabtech has a lot stiffer ride (they replace the upper control arms)... whereas the RCD rides almost like stock (they use drop down brackets and leave the arms alone).
</font>
Beach Cruiser the ride quality depends on the springs not the control arms. You have to replace the control arms because of the operating angles.

------------------
2000z71 7-8in Superlift 3/4 ton torsion bars, 3in PA body lift, CST rear dual shock kit w/ Rancho 9000s, 35in BF Muds and tons of other cool mods!

y2kboti

Old 06-20-2001, 04:28 PM
Thanks all for the input!
I guess I just need to go down and make my purchase. Then let the games begin with the install, for me that part is the most of the fun. :-)
Again, thanks.

Old 06-20-2001, 05:54 PM
I like my RCD kit very much..i`m sure you`ll be happy.

Old 06-20-2001, 06:02 PM
BLown:
Did they have to drill the frame for the stainless steel struts that extend back from the front end to the frame? Also how is the ride?

Old 06-21-2001, 02:46 PM
I just got my RCD 6" Installed Yesterday!!! This lift kicks a$$!! Sweet Ride... as good or better than stock. Looks great and is better than Fabtech in my opinion. I gotta go steal someones digital camera and then I'll post some pictures of it.

------------------
2001 F-150 Super Cab
Black / Dark Graphite Interior
[*] 6" RCD Lift[*] Weld Outback 16X8.25 Wheels[*] BFG MT 35's[*] Billet Grill[*] LineX Bedliner[*] Leather Seats

Coming Attractions:
[*] Exhaust (FM or Gibson)[*] Tint[*] Stereo System

Old 06-21-2001, 08:14 PM
Beach Cruiser...
What did you pay for the kit, not including the installation? Also where did you buy it, Im in OC also. One other thing did they have to drill your frame for those stainless struts or do they use existing holes? Lastly how does your power feel, is it sluggish with the bigger tires? Thanks.

Old 06-22-2001, 03:19 AM
got my lift from "auto styles" in lake forest. $1750 installed. guys name is greg. love the lift. his # is 949-768-7715.

------------------
gas guzzlin,neighbor waking,bike haulin,2 space takin, fun drivin ride

TRUCK
-2001 XLT Supercab silver
-5.4l v8
-3.31 Rear end(sucks!)
-2wd
MODS
-6" RCD suspension lift
-2" rear blocks
-35"x12.5"x16.5" BFG muds
-16.5"x9.75" Eagle 589's
-Flowmaster 40 series
-Pioneer 730 premier head unit
-Sony Xplod amp
-subbox.net sub enclosure
-2-10" Kenwood subs
FUTURE(no particular order)
-K&N
-Hypertech comp
-Power pulleys
-Billet grill
-Clear corner lights
-RCD skid plate and light bar
-Regearing of rear end(desperatly needed)
-Custom fab carbon parts(in progress)
-Im sure others will come to mind
Other ride is a 1999 Yamaha R6!

Old 06-22-2001, 01:38 PM
I got my lift from Truck Toys in Irvine for $1450 (not including installation). I don't know if they had to drill a hole or not... but I will check for you. I have noticed very minimal power decrease because of the lift... the only problem I've come across is gas mileage. I've only driven 1/4 of a tank w/ the lift on but it already seems about 15-20% less than stock. I've got a few trips to San Diego in the next couple of days so I will keep track of my MPG and let you know.

------------------
2001 F-150 Super Cab
Black / Dark Graphite Interior
[*] 6" RCD Lift[*] Weld Outback 16X8.25 Wheels[*] BFG MT 35's[*] Billet Grill[*] LineX Bedliner[*] Leather Seats[*] Tow Package[*] Captains Chairs

Coming Attractions:
[*] Exhaust (FM or Gibson)[*] Tint[*] Stereo System

Old 06-22-2001, 01:48 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Beach Cruiser:
I got my lift from Truck Toys in Irvine for $1450 (not including installation). I don't know if they had to drill a hole or not... but I will check for you. I have noticed very minimal power decrease because of the lift... the only problem I've come across is gas mileage. I've only driven 1/4 of a tank w/ the lift on but it already seems about 15-20% less than stock. I've got a few trips to San Diego in the next couple of days so I will keep track of my MPG and let you know.

</font>
get the 4.56`s asap =)

------------------
Lifted Ford Drivin..Cheap Beer Drinkin..Mullet Sportin...Slayer Shirt Wearin..Cops Watchin..County Fair Workin SOB Straight Outta Orange County!!!!!

2001 5.4
6" RCD
3" PA
16" Welds w/ 35" BFG MT`s
Flowmaster 40 Seies
..blah blah blah

Old 06-22-2001, 08:25 PM
Hey BlownF150..

I wasn't going to get them at first... but now after seeing the MPG I am getting... I'm looking at 4.11 or 4.56. The 4.11's give you the best gas mileage .. and the 4.56's will bring it back to around stock levels. Not sure which one I'm going to go w/ yet. In the meantime, I've found a new best friend.. COSTCO Gasoline! I'm not sure if it is even real gas.. but for 32 cents cheaper a gallon... who cares.

Old 06-23-2001, 04:14 AM
hey beachcruiser, ya its real gas and the reason we(im a costco manager)can sell it cheaper is volume. we fill those tanks about 2-3 times a day. compare that to maybe 2 times a week for a station. this allows us to purchase gas a the most recent price rather than sit on a tank we bought a week ago at a higher price. i agree. fill up there with super for all you superchip owners.

------------------
gas guzzlin,neighbor waking,bike haulin,2 space takin, fun drivin ride

TRUCK
-2001 XLT Supercab silver
-5.4l v8
-3.31 Rear end(sucks!)
-2wd
MODS
-6" RCD suspension lift
-2" rear blocks
-35"x12.5"x16.5" BFG muds
-16.5"x9.75" Eagle 589's
-Flowmaster 40 series
-Pioneer 730 premier head unit
-Sony Xplod amp
-subbox.net sub enclosure
-2-10" Kenwood subs
FUTURE(no particular order)
-K&N
-Hypertech comp
-Power pulleys
-Billet grill
-Clear corner lights
-RCD skid plate and light bar
-Regearing of rear end(desperatly needed)
-Custom fab carbon parts(in progress)
-Im sure others will come to mind
Other ride is a 1999 Yamaha R6!

Quick Reply: 6" RCD Questions